Deciding on which labscope-Matco Scopebox, Autel, or Vantage Ultra

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #28203 by JarheadDiagnostics
Hello all, about to purchase my first personal labscope. My background is with Kia/Hyundai and would use the factory labscope. But now im at an independent shop and want a labscope for my self. I currently have the Mximus 3.0 scan tool. I would like to get the scopebox for it but I can not really find any true info/reviews on it. My snapon dealer has a brand new never sold vantage ultra I can pick up for a great price. But then I was also looking at the Autel, to use with a PC. So I guess I'm trying to figure out which way to go towards. Any info would be great, thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago - 5 years 4 weeks ago #28219 by Chad
Just to throw my two cents in...

I have a Vantage Ultra and I love it. Fast booting. Easy to grab and go. The Guided Component Tester has a lot of useful information, right there. It is, in my opinion, an "On-the-Run" scope. You can transfer, via USB, saved recordings over to a PC for analysis using Shop Stream Connect.

I also have a Uscope. This is another nice Grab-and-Go. Scope. It takes a little bit to get familiar with, but is a nice, compact, single channel scope. Also, it is very affordable.

www.aeswave.com/cart.php?m=affiliate_go&...Test-Lead-p9493.html

www.aeswave.com/cart.php?m=affiliate_go&...ive-scope-p9273.html

I have no experience with Autel.

But, you get what you pay for. And I would urge you to go with a Pico Scope. It is, well, worth the $$$.

www.aeswave.com/cart.php?m=affiliate_go&...illoscope-p9341.html

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 5 years 4 weeks ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan, Tyler

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28224 by Andy.MacFadyen
The Autel has had some pretty mixed reviews I have also seen videos of it in use and wasn't impressed.
Setting up a new shop is all about getting the most useful tools without spending mega bucks. The fact is any scope even the cheapest Hantek 1008 is 1000 times better than no scope. You can actually do useful work with a Hantek but apart from the limitations of the hardware even the latest version of the software is **** to use.

Without doubt the high end PicoScopes are the finest automotive scopes around but the downside is they are tied to a PC which might not be the most convenient or fastest way to work if you are for example checking a speed sensor or just looking at a suspect coil pack or TPS. There is also a learning curve with the software but their Guided Test and Waveform Library are ace.

The UScope is great (I have another version of the same hardware but custom firmware :-) ) it is quick to set up and ideal when working in tight positions it is however it has very small the screen is tiny and only single channel. The uScope basic kit will take you a long way but increasingly you will come against jobs where multiple channels are needed.

The Vantage Ultra :-) decision really comes down to price, although you would be getting it well below list it isn't going to be pound shop cheap.

AutoDitex do some decent automotive scopes both USB and tablet sized --- they have agents in most markets and now have an eBay shop www.autoditex.com/

If startup money is really tight and want to consider a cheap 2 channel USB lab scope I recently tried out the Owon VDS 1022i Although a non-automotive scope it has excellent windows software and interns of value for money delivers a lot.

Remember also you will have to build up a collection of scope accessories, attenuators, acupuncture probes, a current clamp, ignition probe.........

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28305 by Tyler
If it's me, I'd go Vantage Ultra all day. Like pole71 said, very easy to use, fast booting. ShopStream Connect is an asset, IMO. Allows for easy saving, cataloging and sharing of waveforms that you capture. Autel and Launch don't have anything comparable, as far as I know.

The Ultra platform works extremely well in a shop environment, and the touch screen is awesome. Fewer cables to tangle up compared to a PC based scope. Easier to take on test drives.

The Uscope is also excellent value. AESWave is updating the firmware regularly to add features for existing users. Definitely something to consider. ;)

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28422 by rpd1125
Hey this is Ruben in Phoenix Az, I was in the boat as you and I finally went in the direction of the Autel MaxiScope. It runs beautifully on any windows 10 laptop as well as an Autel Scan tool tablets. at only $500 this is a great labscope for a much more affordable price.

I almost went with the Pico Scope but for now this Scope is working great. Very easy to learn the tools and the Auto feature almost instantly starts you off with the right waveform even while you have multiple channels. The software is free from autel too and live updates available at all times. It will come with a simple PDF on how to use it.,. Very user friendly

Hope that helps.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28438 by JarheadDiagnostics
Thanks for all the replies, the Vantage deal fell through. So now its between the scopebox and the Autel, but the more I read about that pico scope the more I would like to have it. But in either direction hoping by the end of the month to have one of them.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28526 by kevinedward1234
Verus and a Pico, you wont regret buying either one of these!!!!!! or both!!!!

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds