OWON VDS1022I Storage PC Oscilloscope 2 Channel

More
5 years 3 months ago #26429 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have just ordered an OWON VDS1022I Storage USB Isolation PC Oscilloscope Dual Channels 25MHZ 100MSa/S I didn't really need another scope but my excuse for ordering it is it would give me an excuse to ditch the Hantek 1008 I keep as a reserve and the spec and software look pretty good.
I will put through its paces and post how good or bad it is. Prior to ordering I had downloaded the software and running in simulated mode it looks and feels 1,000 times better than the Hantek.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, RJ_Make

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26573 by Andy.MacFadyen
The scope was delivered yesterday, weather has been wet and windy so no real chance to evaluate it properly but I can say that there is much less noise on the signal than any comparable Hantek scope I have seen. The user interface is some different from other scopes I have used but looks much better than either the new or older Hantek software interface and the main controls have simple keyboard shortcuts.

Good points :
  1. Much less noise than Hantel 1008
  2. Hardware has a higher quality look and feel
  3. Simple easy keyboard shortcuts
  4. Software interface looks proffessional
  5. FFT fuction works well
  6. FFT & Math Functions can display in windows above source channel
  7. Record/playback function works well
  8. Save screen as image works well
  9. Peak Detect works nicely

Difficulties
  1. As yet I can find no way to store pre-sets but on start up it reverts to previously used setup at last switch off
  2. Single Trigger Capture function on works on time/division less than 250ms, --- work around is to use record and playback function
  3. This is an entry level scope don't expect a fast or powerful scope but is much better value for money than the Hantek
  4. Interface has a learning curve although an experienced scope user it took me a bout 3 hours before I felt confident with it.
  5. Howto save a reference waveform took a bit of head scratching.
  6. Probe settings available on 10x, 100x & 1000x NB no x20 or current clamp settings or custom probe settings This isn't a major issue

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 2 months ago #26782 by Andy.MacFadyen
Update on this I really like the software and the scope produces a really nice clean trace, there are some limitations on the triggering options and I need to do some experimenting with primary and secondary ignition traces and attenuators before giving a verdict. The lack of an x20 probe settings is a bit of a disadvantage, this would be a simple tweak to the software that Owon could easily do,

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26802 by Andy.MacFadyen
To get a secondary ignition capture needed an x10 or x20 attenuator - The spark was an negative spark and I found the only way to set the trigger was to set it to give a stable trace before inverting the on screen trace. Although the scope software lacks an x20 probe setting my choice would be to use an x20 attenuator on the x10 setting and simply multiply the readings by 2.
Otherwise I am really starting to like this scope and I would like to get my hands one of the more advanced faster Owon VDS scopes to try

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl, Landroverman1958

More
5 years 2 months ago #26805 by Landroverman1958
You and your Rovers,,,,,,,,,,,lol

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26848 by Andy.MacFadyen
I knew an veterinarian who had a couple of Labradors --- every time he had to deal with a badly injured dog the Labradors would have to be blood donors, they were so used to it they would just lie on the table without any fuss.
Every time I want to test a tool one of the Rovers is always available..

More
5 years 2 months ago #26854 by Landroverman1958
I think that appliesto most technicians vehicles-they get used for backprobing tests and general tool testing my henry is subject to the same experimenting,gettin known good wave forms,voltages,current draws,working out scope settings,

More
5 years 2 months ago #27138 by Andy.MacFadyen
I am really starting to like this scope I am finding the interface easy and fast to use I had to check out a cam sensor this morning --- quick easy no fuss and very clean trace,

The following user(s) said Thank You: jose.sanchez49

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds