Relative Compression Amplitude to PSI calculator

More
5 years 4 months ago #25481 by TheTechWhisperer
I created this the other day for some guys in my company, because I couldn't find anything like it on the inter-webs.. Next time you do relative compression on a scope, choose a cylinder and input the Amplitude of it. Take a manual gauge reading on that same cylinder. Input the data into this sheet, and then just make yourself a personal note of the scale you used.

As long as you use the same Amperage/voltage scale every other time you scope relative compression, you can use this, and will know actual compression PSI just by typing in a cylinders' amplitude in the designated box, without having to break out that compression gauge anymore.

This way, your "relative" compression checks are no longer relative. If all cylinders have low compression, this will show it. B)

Please click "file" and "Make a copy"for yourself, since anyone with this link can edit it.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/158W4qBxq...w-I/edit?usp=sharing

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan, Andy.MacFadyen, Ro-longo, kevinedward1234, RJ_Make, aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25587 by Andy.MacFadyen
Interesting --- I will try it out in the New Year

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #25628 by bruce.oliver
Nevermind. I reread the post
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by bruce.oliver.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #27068 by TheTechWhisperer

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Interesting --- I will try it out in the New Year

Andy,

Have you come across an opportunity to try this yet? I was never an algebra wiz (or Microsoft Excel for that matter), but I am pretty confident that I got the algorithm/formula correct.

The reason I made this was because I did a relative compression test on a "no-start" that showed even compression on all cylinders. While cranking, it sounded normal to me. Because of these 2 facts, I ruled out a compression problem. I was wrong... All cylinders had low (but some) compression, so the "humps" looked uniform as normal. I would have caught that if I saw the actual PSI instead of just looking at the amplitude of the "humps". This tool solves that dilemma.

I am thinking about making a demonstration video on it. I think this tool could be a real nice enhancement to those that already utilize relative compression testing.

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by TheTechWhisperer.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #27082 by Andy.MacFadyen
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, not sure if it would be helpful with ultra low compression on all cylinders. I have only encountered non-starting due low compression on all cylinders on a Jag XJ8 although looking back to my younger years it might also have been the issue with a 1970 Lotus Elan that wouldn't start after being parked up over the winter.
With the Jag it was a well known issue and an internet search provided the direction needed to get it running,
Iin the case of the Lotus the solution was a very long tow start.

The cranking RPM and wet plugs were the only real clues with the Jaguar but any vehicle that has had starting problems the battery is likely to have issues. You would need to know what was in the normal range for a particular engine type and ambient temperature.

I have been Facbook befriended by Peto Petkov the developer at AutoDitex who developed the i-Scope relative compression tester and the relative compression tests on the Ditex scopes. He always willing to talk and really worth contacting.

Added --- I came across an interesting bit of info on the internet a 2 litre 4 cylinder requires more starting power from the starter and battery than a 3 litre v6-

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: guafa, aboudi.naddaf

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds