Scope connections and testing

More
5 years 4 months ago #25300 by Tjstewart
Greetings everybody. I'm new to using a scope so I have lots to learn. Recently bought a Pico 2004A as a starter due to the success I've seen them used on YouTube. Also due to price of a Pico 4225 it'll be a while before I can afford one. Yesterday when trying it out on a 4 wire stepper IAC motor I couldn't get a waveform looking nowhere near a known good. So I'm wandering if I'm connecting wrong or if the leads I was using (not Pico, they're Hantek leads) is the problem. Being a two channel scope I had one channel backprobed to the high and low on one side of the IAC with the other channel backprobed to the other side. Or am I way off base somehow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25344 by RJ_Make
Did you have the ground reference lead (generally back / alligator) connected to a known good reference ground?

More
5 years 4 months ago #25345 by Tjstewart
Yes I had the ground attached to battery negative

More
5 years 3 months ago #25685 by ronald316
i know a guy that uses hanteck leads with his pico scope and has no issues maybe on wrong setting.i have a zeus so i never used a pico

More
5 years 3 months ago #25687 by Tjstewart
Update to this, I have some Pico leads now and I am getting the correct waveforms. All I can think of is my Pico scope don't like Hantek leads. I've tested with all the Hantek leads as follows 600a current clamp, 60a current clamp, secondary ignition lead, 4 separate test leads and 2 20:1 Hantek attenuators all produce the same looking waveform no matter what I am testing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinedward1234, RJ_Make, aboudi.naddaf

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds