Location of pintle opening in attached HPCR waveform ?

More
5 years 6 months ago #23948 by nurber
Hi forum. Can somebody point me to the location of the pintle opening in the attached .psdata showing both current and voltage ? My understanding is that opening is shown in current waveform, but I'm hard pressed to find characteristic change in slope of current waveform. There is a small pulse in voltage waveform at a location that makes sense for pintle opening and the corresponding pintle closing pulse is also quite visible. Any insights and references to diagnosing such waveforms appreciated.

Sven
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #23949 by Chad
For those who want to follow along:

I have no experience reading Diesel injector wave-forms, but I would venture a GUESS that it is here:

In a gas injector, the current ramp will "level-off" slightly, and momentarily, when the pintle begins to move. Imagine sliding a heavy box across the table. When you first put your hand on the box and slowly start applying pressure to move the box, the force you need to exert increases from nothing to the point where the box begins to move. The moment the box "breaks free", it takes slightly less force to keep the box moving.

Once the pintle begins to move, however, it must, now, work against the force of the spring and current begins to rise again.

This is my understanding, and it may need some polishing, but for what it's worth, I hope it helps.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
5 years 6 months ago #24006 by nurber
Thanks for reply and analogy. What about the pintle closing for main injection pulse ? I see something at 4.22ms that I'm guessing is it.

More
5 years 6 months ago #24015 by Chad
My guess would be the 4.17ms mark.

But, again, I do not know diesel injectors. On a gas engine, the pintle closing can be seen in the voltage waveform. The injectors are, usually, ground side switched. The waveform is taken from the ground side of the circuit. Diesel injectors, I believe, are both ground AND power switched. I don't know how this will effect things.

The voltage waveform you uploaded is the power side switched. I would like to see the ground side, as well.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, nurber

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds