Ignition Probe Discussions \ Tests & Debates - Do YOU need to buy one?

More
01 Jun 2020 04:38 #40388 by Andy.MacFadyen
Diode pairs are a common way to to provide over voltage protection in input stages of amplifiers in much the same way as zenner diode controls the charging voltage on a motor cycle

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2020 20:26 #42313 by al514
How about using resistance wire to make a cop probe, I wonder what the resistance of the coil should be? That will determine the amount of signal picked up I would imagine.

More
01 Jan 2021 12:20 - 01 Jan 2021 12:23 #45597 by cadman777
Hey Guys,

Thanx for all this good R&D!

I tried making my own COP probe recently before coming in here and this is what I found that helped me make one:

Haven't yet had time to make a multi-coil probe.
When I do, it'll be made from 1/8" copper flatbar strips.
The probe I made like the 1st link took me all of 15 minutes.
Dipping it and redipping it in PlastiCote is what you do when you have other things to do (just don't forget how many times you dipped it when you go back to redip!).

I made the copper cap pickup after it after testing the scope's ignition wire attenuated induction pickup lead by setting it on top of the coil, and then holding it beside the coil (COP system). Worked pretty good as bare metal. But not a good idea if you have spark leaks! I also tried the same using an alligator clip, but same warning applies.

I terminated the connector ends using male banana plugs b/c I cut the wires off an old DVM probe lead set and wanted to plug it into a cheap set of BNC/FBC leads. I think the thing cost about 2 bux US (not including the PlastiDip).

It's still a WIP, so will try using the magnet off a computer monitor cable to see if that helps absorb stray signals.

Otherwise, I haven't found a way to shunt a high voltage charge (like a jumping spark) off into lala land and not hurt my scope.

Cheers...
Last edit: 01 Jan 2021 12:23 by cadman777.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Mike T
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
26 Feb 2021 14:16 #47067 by Mike T
That’s some good stuff! You got my mind going now! Thanks for the info

• Mike T
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Mar 2021 11:12 #47163 by Mike T
Okay im pretty new to using scopes and i have a Zeus using a pico paddle probe and the probe wont work if the ground is hooked up. is this okay or do i have a problem?

More
29 Aug 2021 18:03 #50984 by Tutti57
Someone mentioned it earlier, and I have seen it too, where someone just put a penny on top of the coil and touched a regular probe to it.

• juergen.scholl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Aug 2021 19:43 #50988 by juergen.scholl
Depending on the coil design/insulation often times a regular probe will capture a signal that allows to measure burn time, at least. Even without coin. Although you only get a fraction of the information the secondary can offer at least it allows a relative comparison between coils/cylinders.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds