Ignition Probe Discussions \ Tests & Debates - Do YOU need to buy one?

More
2 years 7 months ago #50988 by juergen.scholl
Depending on the coil design/insulation often times a regular probe will capture a signal that allows to measure burn time, at least. Even without coin. Although you only get a fraction of the information the secondary can offer at least it allows a relative comparison between coils/cylinders.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55105 by Joshasta
I'm just trying to figure out what I am missing. Why do the professionally made pickups require 1000:1 attenuation but these home made pickups don't?

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #56732 by graywave
Wow this thread really picked up since I was last here.

I believe the attenuation is for a few reasons. One, liability. They don't want to be buying you new oscilloscopes when a spark jumps to the probe or if the voltage output becomes to high and overloads your scope or your scope settings can't be set high enough to get the entire waveform in view.

The pico probe may also work better with the Pico scope. I've never tried.

The improvised probes, well your dancing with the devil but honestly I've been using my liquid tape coated coil of wire for a long time now without issues. I find shielding in the coil is tough with professional probes and sometimes even with the improvised probes.

I've used coils of solder wrapped in electrical tape on top of multiple coils, or solder wrapped around ignition wires, (Hopefully good wires) to get signals. I've also had luck with just putting on a large alligator clamp directly onto a spark wire to get the signals.

Someday I would like to build a safer circuit. Haven't had the time.

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by graywave.

More
1 year 7 months ago #57813 by Andy.MacFadyen
Try this for an experiment b
just hold the scope lead in your hand and holding your hand over the coil pack

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds