IAC Waveform Question and Neat Observation

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20387 by rockp2
This is an IAC motor waveform for a 98 Chevy Blazer vin ‘W’ 4.3L. IAC is a 4-wire stepper motor. Looking for second opinions that I can file this as “Known Good”. Only reason I ask is because the tops and bottoms are not perfectly flat as they appear in Paul’s book.

Neat observation though (as it appears to me):
Setup: This is a snapshot of a “KEY ON” event (KOEO)
Channel 1 = COIL A HIGH Control
Channel 2 = COIL A LOW Control
Channel 3 = COIL B HIGH Control
Channel 4 = COIL B LOW Control

Looking at the voltage spikes at the top of the green trace and the bottom of the blue trace….If you look to the left of the frame divider (position 160) you can see where COIL A (channels 1 & 2) is/are “in the lead” as compared to COIL B (channels 3 & 4). This is the IAC motor winding the pintle down extending it towards the pintle seat in preparation for start-up. At position 160 you see where the pintle has stopped because it has contacted the seat. Then to the right of 160 you see where the field reverses and COIL B “takes the lead” as the pintle retracts. At least I think that's what is going on.

Though not shown here, when I turned the key off COIL B was “in the lead”. The pintle only retracted (did not extend) as the module put the pintle in position for the next “KEY ON” event. Kinda cool I thought.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by rockp2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20434 by rockp2
Bumpity, bump. Just looking for an experienced thumbs up that these IAC traces look good even though the horizontal parts aren't perfectly square. Thanks Folks!

More
5 years 11 months ago #20443 by Andy.MacFadyen
I think what you see is just the effect of the inductance of the coils.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: rockp2

More
5 years 11 months ago #20488 by Tyler
Agreed, I'm OK with the flats not being quite... flat. Looks like a known good, IMO. :cheer:

More
5 years 11 months ago #20605 by SailorBob
That looks just like the example waveform in the book, "Automotive Oscilloscopes, Waveform Analysis."

So I'd say it a good waveform.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds