Scope station

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #63424 by 00Jake00
Scope station was created by 00Jake00
Hey everyone! I'm looking for ideas to make a little roll cart/scope station for my Zeus. Snappy guy had a Zeus Plus work station and I got the idea to try and build my own and save some serious $$$ in doing so. I have a old roll cart at work that I dug out of a dumpster years ago when I first started out. She's about on her last leg so I was gonna update to a US General and fabricate this one for strictly scope and electronic test equipment. I figured up top I can have a keyboard with a monitor on the lid, accessories and leads can be kept in the smaller drawers and my DVOM, powerprobe, amp clamps and other larger test equipment can be kept in the remaining 2 larger drawers. OBD interface can be kept in a little pouch or something glued to the top next to the monitor and I can have jumper wires rolled up on either side of the box (already have hooks for my impacts and stuff). For those that have set ups like this what do you like and dislike about it and what are things you wish you would've done differently?? This project is pretty low on the to do list but I figured I can take some time to plan all of this out and get ideas from others on this.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #63434 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Scope station
I really like the idea of a scope cart. At my last job, I had one I'd put together from a left-over roll cart, along with some lead organizers and such from my personal kit. Kept the Pico and the programming box on there. SUPER convenient.

Found a few problems with this setup. One, it only really works if your shop is big enough that you can get the cart where you need it without getting in the way. 

Two, stringing leads/wires/cables from the cart to the vehicle creates a trip hazard, especially when you're getting in and out of the vehicle to do your testing. If you're in a high traffic area of your shop (see #1), it's worse.

Three, and this is just IMO, but this setup only really works well with a screen/TV tied in for better visibility. Without it, you're stuck squinting at the screen from 10-15' away while you're behind the wheel trying to make the car act up.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just stuff to consider. That said, you can easily make your own cart for more than what Snap-On is asking! If you haven't already, you might check out Jarhead Diagnostics and Joe's Auto Electric. They're both making scope lead organizers and attachments for scope carts. Even if you don't buy, you can still draw inspiration.

www.jarheaddiag.com/shop

www.joesautoelectric.net/online-shop.html#/
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl, 00Jake00

More
3 months 1 week ago #64271 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Scope station
I used a Harbor Freight cart as my diag cart for a year or two but recently sold it and put everything back in my main box. Like Tyler said, you really have to have the room for it, which I do not. I thought I was going to be wheeling it all over, but I did that like 2 times, and it was a pain, so I never did it again, ha. I feel like I just ended up setting up the cart to be moved or had to disonnect plugs that went to it, where it was just easier pick up the scope and walk to the location. I loved the idea, but it didn't end up working out for my situation. If you have a lot of room to move it around and don't plan on plugging a bunch of stuff off of the car into the wall, then it might work out for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 00Jake00

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds