Mitsubishi 3.8 Mivec V6 relative compression results analysis

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #60716 by Bhodges
Hello Everyone. I accidentally posted this in the repair section and can't find a way to delete it. I recently had diag done on an 06 eclipse gt mivec 3.8 V6 with a hard start, p0301 misfire when cold condition. Diag guy said to replace the maf sensor due to rich condition and possibility of bent valves. I'm posting the results here to see what others think. Engine misfires on cylinder 1 when cold outside and trips cel p0301. It sounds like a sticky lifter on cylinder 1 when you first fire it up and then the lifter tapping noise stops after a few seconds. Runs great when warm with no cel. It had the parts cannon thrown at it, plugs, coils, injectors and fuel pump by the previous owner trying to fix the misfire. Previous owner stated that he did not start experiencing this problem until he changed the timing belt. Is it possible that the timing is off a tooth ? This is a sohc 24v 3.8 V6 with variable valve timing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #60721 by Noah
I wonder if that relative compression waveform needs to be inverted. The ignition strike is taking place at the low points in the waveform, whick makes me think the tech used the voltage drop method instead of a current probe. Which is perfectly acceptable, as long as you either flip the pattern, or are just used to reading them upside down.
If that's the case, then the low portion of the pattern is where you need to look.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #60723 by juergen.scholl
I understand that the blue trace is showing intake manifold vacuum, I don't see it being relative compression..

There is more data needed to get to the root cause. Although the involved shop put time into this the excerpt of the report doesn't reflect a genuine diagnosis going beyond (partial) data recollection.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #60728 by Noah
Hey, that makes sense! Good man Juergen!
That's what I get for skipping the words and going right for the pictures

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Noah.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #60734 by Bhodges
So this could possibly be misdiagnosed ?

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #60735 by juergen.scholl

So this could possibly be misdiagnosed ?

Possible? Yes, maybe.....

As stated earlier, more data needed..Missing when cold on one cylinder could be an intake air leak and might be recognized through the fuel trims. Was the intake been smoke tested?

Could you share the complete report?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by juergen.scholl.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds