A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

TSS Testing

More
1 year 11 months ago #56310 by MrMike
TSS Testing was created by MrMike
Hello-

2010 Dodge Ram 1500-

Can I test my TSS-(Transmission Shift Solenoid) with my multimeter? If so, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks,
Mr Mike

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #56325 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic TSS Testing
That'd depend on how the solenoids are wired and controlled. If the solenoids are externally controlled by the PCM, then you've got a couple options. Resistance is one. Not ideal, but it's something.

Current would be better. By disconnecting the PCM connector and powering each solenoid with the ammeter function in your DMM, you can measure the current draw of each solenoid. Use Ohms Law along with the solenoid resistance specification to figure out about how much current each solenoid should draw. Don't leave the solenoids full fielded for longer than needed to do your testing. ;)

You can also listen to the transmission pan while testing the solenoids for a good solid *click* when the solenoid is energized.

If the transmission controller is integral to the transmission, then testing becomes harder. You could use an amp clamp around the transmission power/ground and a scan tool to command the solenoids on while measuring the current draw. Beyond that, you'd have to pull the pan.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Tyler.

More
1 year 11 months ago #56335 by MrMike
Replied by MrMike on topic TSS Testing
Thanks for the info Tyler. I think Ill start with the resistance from PCM to trans solenoid connector as well as voltage. I'm thinking it's got to be in the connection of the connector to the TSS or wiring between PCM and connector because I unplugged it for a little while, then plugged it back in and engine started a few times, then quit. Where the connector connects to the TSS is in a very tight confined space and looks like a lot of dirt, small debris could easily get caught up in there. Ill let you know what I find out

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his"

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds