A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Oscilloscope secondary ignition record length

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55479 by benphillipstn
I was working on a scooter that had a misfire only under load. I thought I would be able to capture the misfire using a secondary ignition clamp. Neither of my scopes could capture the ignition event once I increased the time base. The sample rate dropped too low.

Would the verus or the pico 4425 be able to capture/record 2 seconds of secondary ignition with decent detail? What about at 4000 rpm?

EDIT: So no. After some digging I discovered, Points = Time x Sample Rate. So a scope with a 20 GSa/s sample rate and 100 Mpts/channel would have a sample rate of 5.0 MSa/s at a 2 second time base. Needless to say this is an extremely expensive scope.

Hmmm now I'm wondering how many samples a second are needed to capture secondary ignition.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by benphillipstn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55480 by Andy.MacFadyen
With secondary ignition you look at it in two stages.
In the first don't look for detail, use a fairly long screen time, slow sample rate. With a lot of ignition events spread a cross the screen it has been aptly descibed as looking at the Forrest not the trees. You should look for gaps or very high spikes. Basically playing "one of these things is not like the other".
The next stage is look at any hinky ignition event in more detail ( "take a look at the sick tree") Use a faster timebase and set a very high voltage single trigger on a fast time base.
Ignition captures are done when the ignition is under max kv demand ie. snap throttle.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: benphillipstn

More
2 years 1 month ago #55481 by juergen.scholl
Both the Verus and the Pico are capable to capture these ignition events, it's just a matter of configuration.

Adjust the SO product in ignition scope mode to single ignition (if it's an one cylinder engine) or what ever you're working on. A 10ms sweep time will result in 2.6 seconds of total buffer while 5ms will give you with 1.3ms half of this.

The pico put into 'streaming mode' will capture seamlessly.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: benphillipstn

More
2 years 1 month ago #55562 by benphillipstn
That is nice to know. I did not know about streaming mode.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds