A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Re:Advice on a replacement scan tool with j2354 vci

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #55474 by Ben
I currently have the otc evolve with 2021 software with j2354 vci, and modis ultra direct cable with 2016 software (I bought the evolve to replace the modis) but I found out data collection is horrible on the otc... so I only use it for j2354 programming and code reading on the 16 up vehicles but the snapon is my go to for anything else I'm doing. With that said since gm updated there software the otc j2354 vci won't work on gm without updating it which requires a current subscription... I'd rather throw it on the ground and shoot it a bunch 10 times than spend another 700-800 on updates for this tool I greatly dislike... so for my question I want a new tool that does all the thinks I like and none of the things I don't! (Don't we all) so who has snapon level data collection (good graphing and all data save that's offscreen) and comes with a j2354 vci and network topography would be a plus but not a deal breaker. Someone mentioned some of snapons vci have j2354? I could not find any info on this online. Does autel have offscreen data save yet? Any other options?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55635 by Noah
Find anything that checks all the boxes yet Ben?

The only tool I'm aware of with a VCI that doubles as a J2534 device is the Autel.
I'm still running the Verus Edge for scan/scope and the Pass-thru IV for programming (all be it not as much as I had anticipated when I purchased it).

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55641 by Ben
Hey Noah! No I haven't... nor have I had much time to look , I'm considering an autel for the j2534 and bidirectional and a 2nd tool for datastream and network topography. I think Paul did a video recently on the top Don or 1 of those up and coming tools that did save datastream offscreen, I should probably look into the 1 that pine hollow is using as well.. I was hoping there was a snapon model that would do the j2534 without having to buy it as a standalone.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #56349 by grnassar
Have you tried using the VCI with the new GM software, or is there something else in particular that would indicate there would be a problem with doing so? I have a different OTC device, granted, but I looked through all the release notes for your Evolve too and it doesn't look like the VCI has gotten any firmware updates. (For different reasons, I emailed OTC about VCI updates about a month ago and they said they hadn't had any in quite a while, though I'm not 100% sure the guy I spoke to knew what he was talking about. I do think all their VCIs are very similar if not identical, though.) So if you haven't given it a shot, it may be worth trying.

I'd try it myself but am having cable issues and can't seem to find a replacement that isn't a knockoff for under $150 or so... :\
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by grnassar.

More
1 year 11 months ago #56350 by Ben
Yes I have tried with GM new software back when it first came out I talked to otc they said there was no fix yet back in December I spoke to them again they said they have an update for the vci but need to connect to tool to install it (they said it would need a current subscription) (mine lapsed middle of last year just before j2534 driver update) I ordered a cable in December as mine was Mia as well... it took 4 months but it came last month! And I hooked it up to my scan tool anddddddd no dice ... since I dislike this tool such I don't really want to spend the 900 on a subscription just to use it for gm programming... so I'm waiting to find someone that has the new software that I can update vci with or replace it and just sell this tool...

More
1 year 11 months ago #56353 by grnassar
That's frustrating. I don't think I'd want to give them my money after that either. If you do decide to do the subscription thing, I think they also have a monthly option at a tenth the price of the annual option iirc. Might or might not be worth it to get that VCI update, but figured I'd mention it in case it helped.

More
1 year 11 months ago #56356 by Matt T

I don't really want to spend the 900 on a subscription just to use it for gm programming...

Pretty sure you can get a GM MDI 2 for about 900. Or you could last year anyways :silly: I believe they're a fully functional J-Box too.

Regards your original question, do you really want another J-Box that requires a $$$ scan tool subscription?

More
1 year 10 months ago #56743 by Ben
So I finally ordered the autel ms909 with j2534 I did find that it does save data that is not on screen! I'm not inlove with it yet though as some measurements won't graph (such as on off) it doesn't show highest and lowest on a graph like snapon does... and it doesn't work with my mp408 scope (not a big deal but would be nice on occasion to use tablet instead of laptop)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds