A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Amp clamp for large currents

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55389 by ksat22
Been trying to figure if it'd be worthwhile to invest in an amp clamp- the kind meant to be used with scopes- that can read higher DC currents. I know the lower-reading DC current clamps are invaluable for automotive diagnosing but, aside from relative compression tests, I don't hear the larger ones being used for much. I already own several regular DMM clamp meters that can read high currents. though they only provide static or min/max readings.

Are there other large, dynamic current- aside from relative compression- that might be helpful to see on a scope screen?
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by ksat22.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55406 by Andy.MacFadyen
A lot of alternators on bigger luxury vehicles are now putting out close to 180 amps.
That accepted it is pretty well impossible to damage an amp clamp by overloading it and most will read well over their rated current before they max out.

I know cranking compression isn't a major issue for you but that it is veryveasy to use battery voltage to do the cranking compression test

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
2 years 1 month ago #55426 by ksat22
Replied by ksat22 on topic Amp clamp for large currents
Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything of value- large current wise- to see on a trace when it comes to an alternator? I've heard looking at AC ripple can be important with alternators, but that doesn't involve the use of an amp clamp.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55427 by juergen.scholl
The value is in being able to see the alternator's (maximum) output. Another working enviroment for an hi-amp-clamp are hybrid and/or electrical vehicles though the trend is more to go rather with extrem voltages than currents.

iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/199/1/012122/pdf

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by juergen.scholl.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55428 by ksat22
Replied by ksat22 on topic Amp clamp for large currents
I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55463 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Amp clamp for large currents
In addition to the different used that Andy and Juergen mentioned, I also end up using mine for glow plug testing. Especially on systems where the glow plug current isn't monitored by a module.

Though, to be completely honest, the real value (for me) of a high amp clamp is the larger jaws. ;) A low amp probe will work well enough for most of the circuits I test. Getting the jaws all the way around some of the bigger cables is the problem. The larger high amp jaws allow you to throw the probe over the cable and keep on truckin'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen, ksat22

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds