A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

OTC Genisys Help/Questions

More
2 years 2 months ago #54171 by groundbeef
I just bought an OTC Genisys with the scope module. It is the old old model. It has version 5.0 software and scans up through 2009 or 2010, so I think it is as up to date as it can be.

I've had a few problems with it and I'm wondering if it's me, the tool I have, or they're all kind of like that.

I've been able to connect to an 06 Malibu and poke around. I also had it hooked up to a 2000 Accord to look at some transmission issues. I could see everything I was hoping to see, but couldn't get the record function to work. It would sometimes dump me back a few screens to where you chose the vehicle. Other times it would save a record, but when playing it back it seemed to only show the data when I first started recording. Nothing ever changed when I tried to go forward. I've not yet tried another car, so I don't know if it's a general problem or a specific one.

Today I tried to scan a 2004 Chrysler 300. It wouldn't communicate when I selected the ECM module. It did work when I selected OBDII. Is this a car problem or a scanner problem? The schematic seems to indicate only one set of wires to the diagnostic connector, so I'm thinking it's the scanner.

Are these things just kind of buggy? For what I paid for it, I'm happy if I can only use it as a scope, but I just want to set my expectations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59124 by bmwbrendan
I know your message was way back in feb, 2022. just wondering how it's going with the Genisys OTC scanner evo 5.0, hardly used mine much lately, but I have been fixing a few of those and selling them. I also have a Mac Mentor (Genisys chassis) 4.0 with scope and attachments. I would recommend doing a file system check, long shot but can't hurt. On the Chryslers communication question, the older Chryslers required a "CCD" interface module in line with scanner and obd connection that the DRB scanners used and Autel Maxidas ds708 has a similar obd inline interface adapter. Software updates newer than what your scanner has may have fixed the communication issue. The last release for these was for 2015 Domestic/Asian and 2014 European I believe. Would need do more research on that to know for sure. I'm actually trying fix "software update" on one these right now and was looking for information on that when I saw your post

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #64070 by frothypuke.french
Hi I have some Genisys EVO with 2010 but looking to update to 2015. any idea where to get the updated software?

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #64071 by bmwbrendan
I got an update kit on ebay

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #64072 by frothypuke.french
Can you send a link to the ad?

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #64073 by bmwbrendan
Kind of expensive update for an older scanner. I would look for something "newee" used maybe. For 500 you could maybe find something decent for your needs....maybe? I'm using an Autel scanner now with updates....got it from jbtools.com

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds