A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Scan tool for Jeep

More
2 years 3 months ago #53603 by MGR
Scan tool for Jeep was created by MGR
Hi All,

I’m trying to find a diagnostic tool will work on a 2003 Jeep Cherokee (Liberty). I am looking for something similar to VCDS that will read all modules and perform active test functions not just a generic engine code reader.

Checking the various tool manufacturers websites (Autel, iCarsoft, Launch etc.) none of them say that cover that model pre 2004. I have contacted them to confirm what functions would be available but waiting to hear back.

The only companies that state their scanners work on that model year are Snapon and Bosch. Whilst I’m not against the idea of buying a used version of one of them I was wondering if anybody new of any other companies that make something that would do what I want?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53611 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Scan tool for Jeep
X-431 (Launch and Thinkcar) shows software coverage.

qcar.x431.com/qcar/#/pc/detail?series=1&...P&ver=33.60&q=e30%3D

Hardware coverage might depend on the tool though. Pre CAN Mopar networks are a soup sandwich. I have used a Thinkdiag on a '98 Dodge B1500. That vehicle has SCI on 6 & 7 and CCD on 3 & 11.of the DLC. So if your Liberty uses those networks it'd be worth a shot for ~$100 on amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 3 months ago #53626 by MGR
Replied by MGR on topic Scan tool for Jeep
Thanks for that, I’m not sure how I missed that launch cover it. I’ve not used any of their kit personally, is it actually any good? I don’t want to spend >£1k on something that will crash and hang etc.

The thinkdiag looks interesting, not so keen on having a subscription to be able to use all the features but it might work

More
2 years 3 months ago #53663 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Scan tool for Jeep
I'd go for a used Snap-On if possible. It's been my go-to for older CDJR products like your '03 because other aftermarket brands just don't work. All the data and functional tests are there and work correctly.

Not sure what your budget is, but a used Solus or Modis would get the job done. You can also try to get your hands on a used DRB3 or a DRB3 Emulator kit? But they're $2500 or more, plus shipping. :(

More
2 years 3 months ago #53666 by MGR
If I could find a drb3 for a decent price I’d get one but as it would be limited to use on the jeep only I can’t justify the prices they are commanding at the moment as it’d be worth more than the vehicle is.

Honestly I’m leaning towards a used snapon, I’ve found a Solus Legend running 21.4 for £900 in a pawn shop, thing looks like it’s been barely used. As it should work on everything I have in the fleet at the moment and just about anything else I will come across in the future it seems like a decent deal

More
2 years 3 months ago #53674 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Scan tool for Jeep

If I could find a drb3 for a decent price I’d get one but as it would be limited to use on the jeep only I can’t justify the prices they are commanding at the moment as it’d be worth more than the vehicle is.

Agreed. I find myself looking into a DRB3 Emulator every once in awhile, but can never justify the cost.

Honestly I’m leaning towards a used snapon, I’ve found a Solus Legend running 21.4 for £900 in a pawn shop, thing looks like it’s been barely used. As it should work on everything I have in the fleet at the moment and just about anything else I will come across in the future it seems like a decent deal

That's about $1300? Sounds like a deal to me. B)

More
2 years 3 months ago #53711 by MGR
Managed to get in there earlier and take a proper look at it. Mint condition and everything is there, seems to work perfectly. Got it out the door for £850 (bit under $1200) so happy about that. Hopefully will work with the Jeep and if it doesn’t it’s not the end of the world as it’ll work on everything else
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds