A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

BMW Valvetronic and XDRIVE system disable utility - ExtraTool

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #52864 by ExtraTools
Hello dear colleagues!

My name is Sergey Onischuk and I have been working as a diagnostician at an official BMW dealer in Moscow, Russia for 12 years.
In my daily work, I often encountered situations, when it was difficult or even impossible to repair a car using the official BMW diagnostics systems ISTA.
I had a lot of experience in programming in the past and decided to write a small utility Extratool that will help me and my colleagues (electricians and mechanics).
ExtraTool - utility that can disable variable valve system Valvetronic on BMW cars and the XDRIVE all-wheel drive system.

Just a few examples. BMW 750i G11 N63TU engine had the following errors: 0x118502 mixture adaptation (mixture too rich/fat), 0x140010 misfiring several cylinders, bank 2.
In freeze frame misfiring was from 800 to 1700 engine RPM and when engine is running misfire is still present.
Valvetronic operation range is 700 to 2000 RPM average, so I decided to temporarily disable Valvetronic using my utility.
After that all misfire disappeared, it was a mechanical problem with the intake camshaft on bank 2. I spent only 5 minutes trying to find out whether the root cause was in engine mechanics or not.
Of course it is possible to disable VVT, if you unplug VVT motor harness (you will receive an error about VVT) but in my utility you do not get an error in VVT.
All BMW engines with Valvetronic have the "secret" possibility to temporarily (about 5 minutes, depending on software in DME) working without Valvetronic. This function is used on engine plants.
It is a very useful function to find where the problem is, VVT or something else (spark plugs, compression pressure, etc).
When you press the button "Disable VVT" in Extratool, valves change position from 0,18 mm to 9,7/9,9 mm. Engine works with valves in maximum open position for 5 minutes (depends on engine) and engine runs on stock software without any errors.

Another example is Xdrive. BMW X5 F15 with permanent all wheel drive system XDrive is jerking while driving. Engine was chiptuned on Stage 2 and this problem (jerking) appeared after chiptuning.
If you remove the fuse for the Xdrive ecu car it will be 2WD but you also lose engine power (because the emergency program is running in engine). Just press the button Disable Xdrive and the car will be 2 WD but all engine power
will be available. If the car is running better the problem with the car is tyres with different circumference or Xdrive hardware/software. If it is still jerking the problem is chiptuned software in DME.
In my case the problem was in Xdrive hardware, the car has a mileage of 110 000 km and Xdrive hardware was broken immediately after chiptune dme on Stage 2.
This function (disable Xdrive temporarily works on E/F/G series) can also be used if you like rally style in driving and drifting, because all engine power is available.

I also made a short video to introduce Extratool.
Please go to:

Link to install:
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru...xtratool&hl=en&gl=us

My program works with any ELM327 bluetooth adapter, at this moment works on Android phones and free for 15 days (use promocode SCDANNER for free 30 days) cost a very little fee (only 10 USD a month) and has next functions:
1)Disable/Enable Valvetronic
2)Disable/Enable Xdrive
3)Read DTC/Clear DTC (all DTC with small description, like in ISTA)
4)Misfires counter
5)Read adaptation correction in automatic transmission ZF (fill pressure and fill time in clutch).
6)Open and close radiator flaps (it helps during winter in Russia)
7)Convert rear brakes in service mode and back to customer mode (to faster change rear brake pads in any service without ISTA). All mechanics staff at my workplace bought chinese ELM327 and use this function very often.
8 Check mileage. On BMW G-series cars ECUs have mileage inside. Extratool read mileage inside every ECU and show results.
9) Very simple visual functions to check/activate lights and washers.
10) Check FRM on E/F series. As far as you know FRM can be damaged when you read cars using ISTA, so Extratool allow you to know that FRM can be damaged and you can program FRM using WinKFP/IstaP/Esys and then diagnose car. These functions save money and time.
11) Activate/deactivate/unblock independent heater Webasto
12) Gateway KL15 mode or CAN bridge. This function allows you to work with any bmw ecu on table (without ZGW/FEM/BDC). Just connect ELM327 to kombi/nbt/nbtevo/etc press button in Extratool and you can diagnose/code/program ECUs using Inpa/Tool32/Esys/NCS/WinKFP without a car.
13)Read FA (vehicle order)
14)Activate/deactivate fuel pump

I am also ready to implement in future release the next useful functions:
Temporarily disable/enable wideband O2 sensor.
Temporarily disable/enable fuel tank ventilation valve.
Reset adaptations. Not all adaptations at once like ISTA, you will have the opportunity which adaptation you need to delete. Lambda O2 sensor/drossel/VVT/high pressure pump/etc.
Read long-term fuel adaptation (KLANN/KRANN different engine RPM/temperature/load) from engine ecu. It will help to find problems with rich/lean mixture errors.
Read gas/fuel octane rating from 5 recent gas/fuel filling and from all.
You also can close the EGR valve for a long time on a bmw diesel engine.
Change air suspension to service mode and back.

Also any feedback about the program/which function will be useful for your are superb. I will try to implement diagnostic functions, specific for your market if you need it.

Thank you very much!!
With best regards, Sergey.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by ExtraTools.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CurrentDraw, Richie12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53057 by ExtraTools
Hello!
I have been update Extratool to Version 1.4.3.
Please update in your mobile phone too.
WHAT'S NEW
- VVT disable function fixed
- Height control function added, +40mm , -40 mm, service mode and reset
- EGR reducing function added: This function work like a tuning. This improvement is not detected as tuning in ISTA ABL. Also you take a more clean intake manifold and less wear and tear on the cylinder-piston group
- Vehicle order options description added for all subscribers
- Rear brake service function fixed
-Added function for checking ECU on new security function 2020

Thank you!
Best regards, Sergey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
2 years 3 months ago #53158 by ExtraTools
How-to use Extratool with diagnostic examples in pdf format

File Attachment:

File Name: BMW_ExtraTool.pdf
File Size:2,543 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
2 years 3 months ago #53255 by Hardtopdr2
Does this kit have a "black box function" where it constantly records all data pids till a fault occurs and 30 seconds afterwards? For instance car starts cold warms up and engine shuts off/stalls and won't restart till cold?

Alex
The following user(s) said Thank You: ExtraTools

More
2 years 3 months ago #53256 by ExtraTools
Thank you for idea it will be cool function and it possible but not at this time.
In average in dme/dde about 2000 pids (if you using Tool32 not Ista) and Elm 327 so slow to transfer pids. If you want 1 pid transfer rate 10 hz if 5 pids may be 2hz.
For your purpose much better to use Enet interface and software Testo.
trasfer pids rate will be around 50 hz.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds