A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Ohms & Continuity Question

More
7 years 1 month ago #7716 by rockp2
Thanks for responding Ben. Help me out. What is a solenoid pump and what is the difference between a solenoid pump and a regular pump? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7717 by SniperDan
Are you sure this thing is actually a pump, and not some sort of switch? Can you take a picture of your ohm test through it? 2 Mohms+ is too high of a resistance to really perform any sort of substantial electrical work, which makes me doubt this thing is doing anything other than potentially signalling something or acting as a pull down switch. This is kinda of weird.

"Without data, you are just another person with an opinion."

~W. Edwards Deming
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by SniperDan.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7718 by rockp2

SniperDan wrote: Are you sure this thing is actually a pump, and not some sort of switch? Can you take a picture of your ohm test through it? 2 Mohms+ is too high of a resistance to really perform any sort of substantial electrical work, which makes me doubt this thing is doing anything other than potentially signalling something or acting as a pull down switch. This is kinda of weird.

It is most definitely 100% a pump. No question. There are two pumps on the tractor, this one is known as the "feed" or "lift" pump. It is closest to the fuel tank. When I get out in the garage in a bit I will take a pic of the ohms test.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7722 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Ohms & Continuity Question
A solenoid pump is common on low fuel flow engines such as tractors and generators they are easy to tell apart from regular pumps in that that regular pumps you hear a constant light hum and a solenoid pump makes a clicking sound and when the fuel comes out it comes out in spurts instead of steady flow

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
7 years 1 month ago #7723 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Ohms & Continuity Question

Here's a quick demo of a solenoid style pump

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
7 years 1 month ago #7726 by rockp2
Ben, thank you. Yes it is absolutely a solenoid pump based off of your description. It clicks rapidly when operating and does not him. And yes it spurts the fuel out in pulses.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7727 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic Ohms & Continuity Question
Sniper Dan, attached is the image of the ohm test.
Attachments:

More
7 years 1 month ago #7768 by Andy.MacFadyen
Have you tried reversing the test leads? the pump may have a built in protective diode.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
7 years 1 month ago #7769 by SniperDan

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Have you tried reversing the test leads? the pump may have a built in protective diode.

This is exactly what I was thinking!!!

"Without data, you are just another person with an opinion."

~W. Edwards Deming

More
7 years 1 month ago #7777 by rockp2

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Have you tried reversing the test leads? the pump may have a built in protective diode.

I did not. I will try that in a bit. Just assumed that switching the leads would do nothing more than change the polarity of the reading. I'll get back to you. Thanks Andy.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7784 by rockp2

SniperDan wrote:

This is exactly what I was thinking!!!

Andy and Sniper, when I reverse the test leads nothing happens. Just get the "up arrows" on the Vantage Pro screen. No flash of the screen or anything, just acts like I'm not doing anything at all. It is set on auto so it's not a matter of not having the meter set high enough. Same result both measuring ohms and checking continuity.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds