A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Multimeters and amp clamps

More
2 years 5 months ago #52667 by Chevyman
I was wondering what everyone would suggest for a entry level multimeter and amp clamp. Working on a limited budget right now but I want to get the best meter I can at the moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52668 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Multimeters and amp clamps
For a multimeter, I'm still a fan of the Owon B35T+. I've had one for several years now, and it's always performed better than its price tag would suggest.

www.amazon.com/OWON-Multimeter-Measureme...rding/dp/B01C3IQDE8/

The Bluetooth function comes in handy more times than you'd think. ;) As for an amp probe, you really can't go wrong with AESWave:

www.aeswave.com/Current-Probe-Low-range-...ana-Plugs-p9501.html

There are cheaper low amp probes out there, but I don't have any experience with them. I'm not sure I'd want to spend much less on an amp probe, anyway. :silly:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52677 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Multimeters and amp clamps
I will say that I like the owon meter, but after lending it out and having it come back with a blown fuse, mine no longer measures amps.
I also am in the market for a new meter. I will probably buy another owon and just not loan it out

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Noah.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52685 by wowcoop
Replied by wowcoop on topic Multimeters and amp clamps
pretty cool you can get a graphing meter for $61.00!!

More
2 years 5 months ago #52688 by juergen.scholl

I will say that I like the owon meter, but after lending it out and having it come back with a blown fuse, mine no longer measures amps.

Noah,

on the high amp range I´ve seen the soldering melting where the shunt resistor is attached to the circuit bord, although usually on cheaper meters. Nevertheless it may be worthy to have a close look. Do you have continuity between the terminals with the fuse in place?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 5 months ago #52699 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Multimeters and amp clamps

pretty cool you can get a graphing meter for $61.00!!
It's not a graphing meter like the Snap On Vantage you might have seen in some Scanner Danner videos. You can plot the measurements to a graph via an app on your phone, but it's not nearly fast enough to pick up sensor signals or anything like that.

Juergen, thank you for the advice! No matter what I measure, the reading maxes out at 30ma. I have taken it apart and all the solder joints look nice and shiny. I did try to re heat the solder holding the shunt to the board but it made no difference...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds