A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Snap On diag without subscription

More
2 years 6 months ago #52501 by gtvmanu
Hi guys (from France ;))

I have a question for you as here, in Europe, Snap-On tools are not very known.

By the way, they are distributed by "sun diagnostic" brand in uk.

I already own some scanners and scopes tools and I have the opportunity to buy a "SUN PDL 5500" that seems to be very close to the Modis Edge.

My question is about the subscription : will the tool be still running for years without subscription ?

Of course, it won't be up to date and some online functions will not work but all the scanning functions (not only EOBD) and scope will still be ok ?

That is a concern as the subscription is not cheap (about 50-60 $ /month) and I should already pay the subscription for my other tools...

Nevertheless, it will be a new tool for me to add some capabilities to success in diags ;)

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52507 by gtvmanu
Update : the PDL 5500 is likely more a MODIS Ultra ;)

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 6 months ago #52508 by Noah
I haven't updated my Verus Edge, and don't particularly plan to. It still scans and scopes just fine but the subscription based service like quick access to oil capacity and maintenance interval resets do not work out of subscription. These are things you don't NEED a scan tool for, so no great loss in my opinion.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #52519 by gtvmanu
Thanks for your answer so at least no real restriction without subscription !

Is it true for all snap-on diag tools ? even European ones from SUN ?
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by gtvmanu.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52529 by Tyler

Is it true for all snap-on diag tools ? even European ones from SUN ?

I have no experience with the European versions? So I honestly can't say. :blush: I didn't even know Snappy stuff got rebranded until I read this thread. But a quick Google search showed this:

That's totally a Modis Ultra. :lol: Learn new stuff every day!

But, my wild guess would be that the European versions would play by the same rules as North America. 21.4 is the latest software version available here, and the Sun website agrees. Basically, I think you're good to go. ;)

More
2 years 6 months ago #52531 by juergen.scholl
I got a SUN PDL 5600 . This is a Latinamerican version of the MODIS EDGE. It keeps working without updates. Differences are specific Mexican vehicle coverage, really bad translation into Spanish and complete lack of the trouble shooter. The manual states it can be loaded/updated with a bunch of other regional configurations like US or European market.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
2 years 6 months ago #52541 by gtvmanu

I have no experience with the European versions? So I honestly can't say. :blush: I didn't even know Snappy stuff got rebranded until I read this thread. But a quick 

I woud imagine that SUN is the original one and Snap On the rebranded one ;)

Thanks for your answer, so there is no NOGO ;)

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52744 by gtvmanu
Some update : now on the market for a PDL 4100 (= Solus Edge).

According to the seller, it is not update and without subscription but it can still read codes in "demo mode".

Any idea about this mode ?

May the scanner still work without subscription ?
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by gtvmanu.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #53172 by Hardtopdr2
Demo mode is just a way to show you what it can do looking at a car. OBD2 and actual scanner function are independent of demo mode. So If you go look at it hook it up to a car to make sure it works. And yes it will still scan cars and most everything else without subscription. But some functions like what was stated above won't work with out a subscription mainly oil specs and resets and tire info
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Hardtopdr2.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds