A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Gm module prigramming

More
2 years 6 months ago #52025 by autojoe
Does anyone here do gm module programming?Bernie Thompson mentioned on newer gm vehicles that the key has to be off including lights ect everything has to be dead or module can be contaminated. Things keep changing. Does anyone here know what year that starts. Usually done with key on. Thanks. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #52047 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Gm module prigramming
You know, I wondered the same thing after watching that video. :unsure: All the GM modules I've programmed didn't require the ignition to be off when beginning the programming event.

For giggles I checked Control Module References for the Radar Sensor Module - Long Range going back to 2015. The 2014 MY didn't list the same module available. Every year for 2015 and up says key off for programming.

Many other modules simply tell you to hook up SPS and follow the on-screen instructions. :silly:

For a BCM, there's this little notation:

It would appear to me that the whole key on/off thing has less to do with the model year, and more to do with the module in question. Service info is your friend on stuff like this. ;)
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Tyler.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52054 by autojoe
Replied by autojoe on topic Gm module prigramming
Thanks Tyler. Like you said never encountered or seen in service info. Never looked on my info system on newer gms on pcm and various modules to see if only relates to certain modules not pcm. You are correct about service info being your friend here. I always look at service info. Thanks for your input. 

More
2 years 6 months ago #52064 by Tyler

You are correct about service info being your friend here. I always look at service info. Thanks for your input. 
Thank you for asking the question! :cheer: I wouldn't have gone and done the digging if you hadn't posted. I (and hopefully anyone else following along) am better off for it. Also, I didn't mean to imply that you don't do your due diligence with service info. :blush: 

Speaking of following along, here's the video in question:

More
2 years 6 months ago #52075 by AJeep18
Replied by AJeep18 on topic Gm module prigramming
I was a little curious about that myself! I had not idea it was even possible to program with the key off. You mention reading service data and I agree, but we only use ProDemand no IdentiFix or OEM service info and it seems like Prodemand doesn't go very into depth for programming instructions. Or am I not looking in the right place?

More
2 years 6 months ago #52077 by Tyler

I was a little curious about that myself! I had not idea it was even possible to program with the key off. You mention reading service data and I agree, but we only use ProDemand no IdentiFix or OEM service info and it seems like Prodemand doesn't go very into depth for programming instructions. Or am I not looking in the right place?
GM has Control Module References, which is their (very convenient) playbook for module replacement. There's probably a faster way to find it? But I usually just go for a keyword search:

Most DTC documents also include a link to the same thing. Other makes aren't as easy. :( Usually I'll look up the R&R procedure for the module I'm working with and get a better idea of what's required. For example, RAM provides this chart for what to do after BCM/PCM/RF-HUB replacement:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, juergen.scholl

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 6 months ago #52081 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Gm module prigramming
Before I watched the video I was thinking he was talking about having the the key off in the case of programming a used module, where the incorrect VIN would be gathered, but that definitely isn't the case! (I doubt the could put a used module in a '21) He's adamant about having that key off!
Always learn something new.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds