A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

$3000 to spend

More
7 years 1 month ago #7234 by bruce.oliver
$3000 to spend was created by bruce.oliver
$3000 to spend what scanner and scope? Modis Ultra?
vantage pro and Autel?
Vantage pro and used solus?

Or other suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7275 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic $3000 to spend
I vote for a used first gen Verus. ;)
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-Verus-Latest-16-4-w-European-Asian-Domestic-Software-w-Docking-Station-/162430294683?hash=item25d1999a9b:g:JWwAAOSwHjNV~0dK

Find one with the most recent update possible, and avoid paying the Snappy guy for updates. One of these will do just about anything you need a scanner or scope to do. B)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Tyler.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7278 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic $3000 to spend
I don't know about spending that much on a scantool that can't be updated. Not really worried about updating the scope but would be nice to use whatever scantool I get for as long as I can

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7283 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic $3000 to spend

bruce.oliver wrote: I don't know about spending that much on a scantool that can't be updated. Not really worried about updating the scope but would be nice to use whatever scantool I get for as long as I can

You can get pretty far with a Verus
I'm running an older generation Verus (with personality keys) and it's the perfect tool for where I am right now.
I had a Solus Pro with just domestic software (14.something I think), which I thought was going to be all I needed. It was a very good machine, but my hand's felt tied any time I had to work on a Volvo or VW.
So I moved up to an older Modis with Software 15. something and Euro. Actually having a scope with built in instructions for most parts you will encounter really changes the game.
Setting up the scope and navigating the scanner on the Modis was a pain using the buttons.
Now I have a used older Verus, and the touch screen makes the tool so much more intuitive. I have no intention of moving into another tool until this one won't power on :cheer:

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Noah.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7286 by bruce.oliver
My thinking on the older verus is what happens in a few years and you start getting cars that your scantool won't do anything with except generic? Now you need a new scantool.

Plus I loved how much faster the modis ultra is compared to the verus. Even the verus edge. I used the modis all last week, now I'm back to the shops verus edge and it feels so slow. Lol

More
7 years 1 month ago #7287 by Hash Cash
Replied by Hash Cash on topic $3000 to spend
If you already have a laptop computer, you could go with a Picoscope starter kit and a PC based scan tool such as Ease or Autoengenuity. The price on the scan tool depends on whether you need mostly domestic coverage, or domestic and Asian, or the most pricey domestic, Asian and Euro (around $1400). No matter what scope you choose, you will also need a variety of probes, leads, transducers, etc.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7295 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:RE: $3000 to spend

bruce.oliver wrote: My thinking on the older verus is what happens in a few years and you start getting cars that your scantool won't do anything with except generic? Now you need a new scantool.

Plus I loved how much faster the modis ultra is compared to the verus. Even the verus edge. I used the modis all last week, now I'm back to the shops verus edge and it feels so slow. Lol

Lol I'm telling you the ultra has to be the fastest 1 of the bunch I'd put it in a boot up race against anything!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7300 by bruce.oliver

Hash Cash wrote: If you already have a laptop computer, you could go with a Picoscope starter kit and a PC based scan tool such as Ease or Autoengenuity. The price on the scan tool depends on whether you need mostly domestic coverage, or domestic and Asian, or the most pricey domestic, Asian and Euro (around $1400). No matter what scope you choose, you will also need a variety of probes, leads, transducers, etc.

I've thought about that. Get a windows tablet with Autoenginuity but I've never used AE. So I would hate to spend that much and not like it. Do you have AE? How do you like it?

I might call AESWAVE today and talk to them about AE

And the modis ultra is no joke. Boots up in less than 5 seconds and auto ID as soon as you hit the button
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by bruce.oliver.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7301 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:$3000 to spend
I don't have any experience with AE but I do use Windows based vag com for vw and audi i started with a laptop thrn moved to a windows tablet and the downfall is working from the drivers seat it's much easier to use a handheld scanner in the vehicle .not that we would use 1 while we're driving but it's nearly impossible to do with the laptop or Windows tablet....

More
7 years 1 month ago #7305 by bruce.oliver
I would have thought a tablet wouldn't be much different than a regular scantool.

Which tablet did you get? How does the speed compare to the ultra? Or verus

More
7 years 1 month ago #7306 by Ben
I think it is a hp g1000 or something like that you have to use a stylus to have any kind of touch accuracy on windows

More
7 years 1 month ago #7366 by gav09
Replied by gav09 on topic $3000 to spend

bruce.oliver wrote: I've thought about that. Get a windows tablet with Autoenginuity but I've never used AE. So I would hate to spend that much and not like it. Do you have AE? How do you like it?

I have an AE I haven't used it in a while but it is ok. The graphing leaves a lot to be desired. Has good bi directional controls. It doesn't have preset data pid groups unless you create them. Which is nice sometimes and other not so much. Overall a good tool and has good support.

I would condider looking at the autel ms906 too. For the money its a pretty capable scan tool. Graphing is ok(not snap on quality but what tool has that). Bidirectional controls are great. Copies Fords IDS power balance test almost exactly.
Downside is you have to switch between metric and english units to get g/s on the MAF pid and one time I used it there was a mislabeled PID. Boot up time on the autel is pretty fast. slightly slower than the modis ultra.

For the scope I would go with a Pico.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7369 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:RE: $3000 to spend

gav09 wrote:

bruce.oliver wrote: I've thought about that. Get a windows tablet with Autoenginuity but I've never used AE. So I would hate to spend that much and not like it. Do you have AE? How do you like it?

I have an AE I haven't used it in a while but it is ok. The graphing leaves a lot to be desired. Has good bi directional controls. It doesn't have preset data pid groups unless you create them. Which is nice sometimes and other not so much. Overall a good tool and has good support.

I would condider looking at the autel ms906 too. For the money its a pretty capable scan tool. Graphing is ok(not snap on quality but what tool has that). Bidirectional controls are great. Copies Fords IDS power balance test almost exactly.
Downside is you have to switch between metric and english units to get g/s on the MAF pid and one time I used it there was a mislabeled PID. Boot up time on the autel is pretty fast. slightly slower than the modis ultra.

For the scope I would go with a Pico.

I had a launch scanner for a short time and between a few miss labeled codes and pids you just could not trust it !

More
7 years 1 month ago #7375 by bruce.oliver
Exactly. That seems to be what everyone says. Snapon has more reliable PIDs but autel launch have some functions that snapon doesn't.

So my plan is to buy the modis ultra next week. Then get a pico later. Probly try to run it on a tablet.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7411 by Nandor69
Replied by Nandor69 on topic $3000 to spend
Just my 2 cents. If you get a Verus/pro/edge with 16.4, it will be a pretty damn long time before you run into only being able to use generic on cars

More
7 years 1 month ago #7447 by bruce.oliver

Nandor69 wrote: Just my 2 cents. If you get a Verus/pro/edge with 16.4, it will be a pretty damn long time before you run into only being able to use generic on cars

It would be a few years before I needed to buy another scanner. So I just think I'd be better off spending the money on something that can be updated newer than 16.4. Plus the verus is just so damn slow, except for the edge. But even it is slow compared to the modis ultra. When I need more than 2 channels on the scope I can use the shops verus edge.

I am mainly wanting my own scantool/scope so that I can take it home to get better with the scope.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7542 by Hash Cash
Replied by Hash Cash on topic $3000 to spend
Bruce, I haven't got AE yet but that is the plan. I bought the interface tool (ELM327) from Ease (about $100), which you can use with their trial software. The interface works fine, but the software is pretty limited in what it can do. After all its free, and they are trying to get you to buy the full package with bi-directional, live data, millions of PIDs, etc. Supposedly this same OBDii interface will also work with AE and others. I got my Picoscope starter kit from Autonerdz for about $1700 and couldn't be happier.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7595 by bruce.oliver
Bought the modis ultra this morning. Made him give me a jacket.

Saw in another thread where some of you are saying we can scope injectors and ignition primary without an attenuator even though it says 50 volts max on the top of the scope?

More
7 years 1 month ago #7613 by Ben
I have had no problems without an attenuator on mine I questioned that when I bought mine and asked Google (we all know Google never lies!) And everything I found said no problem without attenuator on it so I never used one and have had no problems thus far!

More
7 years 1 month ago #7614 by Ben
Also congrats on the new tool!

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds