A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

OBD2 Scanner

More
2 years 6 months ago #51688 by Boone
OBD2 Scanner was created by Boone
i drive a 2010 Silverado and my wife drives a 2014 4Runner.I'm not a mechanic by trade but do all the maintenance and repairs that i able to do myself but don't work on  anyone else's vehicles.I like to learn what i can in my spare time but at over 50 years old these newer cars are a challenge,but i like that.My question is,what would be a good scan tool in say the $400-$500 max range that would be good for the 2 vehicles we have  that i can learn to use,something better than the code reader the guy at autozone uses to try and sell me parts if the check engine light comes on.One i can grow with as i learn more.Any help would be appreciated.Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #51690 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic OBD2 Scanner
First thing I'd say is head over to www.aeswave com and get Paul's book for the $99 I think it is.

Cars may seem harder to work on these days but in my opinion they're easier to work on than in the 90's, 2000's myself.

You don't have to have a to awfully expensive scanner to work on cars. Main thing is you need to be able to pull codes.

I have many scanners from a small Innova 3160d all the up to the Snap-On Zeus but I also do work on my own as well so spend money to make money is the story of my life or so it seems. The more expensive scan tool you get then you'll be wanting to pay to have it updated annually but those are typically $750 and up scanners.

The innova I mentioned I still use for pulling air bag, abs brake and engine codes to this day. When I need something quick I break it out.

Use the extra money you'll save and use AlldataDIY on a multiyear subscription if you're keeping your car more than a year or two as you'll have access to mfr service information for the duration of time you plan on keeping the vehicles.

Years back I recall it was like $45 per vehicle for 5yrs. Well spent money I must say as it gives you repair methods, wiring diagrams, troubleshooting steps, etg.

More
2 years 6 months ago #51695 by Boone
Replied by Boone on topic OBD2 Scanner
Thank you for the help

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds