A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Verdict

More
7 years 2 months ago #6875 by bruce.oliver
Verdict was created by bruce.oliver
What about the verdict? I know it's been discontinued and it's windows based. But is it a good tool? Didn't seem like they made it very long

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6886 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Verdict
I havent had experience with it but i havent heard anything good about it

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
7 years 2 months ago #6887 by Ben
Having a scope/ snanner isnt the worst option its just rarely inconvenient not to be able to use both i wouldnt rule out the ultra because of it especually if you have access to another scanner for those times when you need both

More
7 years 2 months ago #6888 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic Verdict
I haven't heard much good about it either but for $700 I might go look at it anyway

More
7 years 2 months ago #6889 by Ben
Well if nothing else you can check your email...

More
7 years 2 months ago #6890 by Ben
Or atleast thats what i heard...

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #7102 by ecwurban
Replied by ecwurban on topic Re:Verdict

Ben wrote: Well if nothing else you can check your email...

Anyone that's used the Verdict would find that amusing. You would have to have a lot of patience to try and get that to work...

I have a second gen Verus. Mine still has keys. My shop has a Verdict. I can't use that piece of crap without having to rant to my Snapon rep about how much of a piece of !@#$ it is! I put a solid state harddrive and upped the ram in my Verus but it's still only a Intel Celeron 600MHz processor :sick: The Verdict is newer than mine. So even with the upgrades I've done to mine I would expect the Verdict to be similar speeds or faster. It is so slow!! My grandma could run a marathon in less time than it takes that stupid thing to load up and she passed away years ago!

One of the things that I was really pleasantly surprised about with the Verus is how unbelievably nice it was working with the larger screen. It's painful trying to watch graphs of PIDs on the Verdict. Anymore than about 4 PIDs and you can't make anything out. Plus it only has a two channel scope. The extra two channels of a 4 channel come in handy A LOT. The whole wireless thing really isn't that handy. It's neat and makes a couple things slightly easier but definitely not something you can't live without.

The Verdict runs on WindowsXP but then so do all of the Verus's except for the new Verus Edge.

I'd say if you can get one spankin cheap then go for it. It still has all the Snapon functionality. It's just really going to frustrate you at times.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by ecwurban.

More
7 years 2 months ago #7116 by jimdandy327
Replied by jimdandy327 on topic Verdict
I had one and the things you read are true, it is slow and sometimes it would just loose it's mind but it is useable. I agree if you find a cheap one it may be better than nothing. I traded mine in on a Verus Edge that is better but still is frustrating sometimes. I agree that 4 channels are way better sometime i just have to have them. I still have the meter that came with the Vertict and I use it for a lot of things,also i can pair it with my Verus if I need to, which i have had to do a couple of times. I think that the screen was a good size for me anyway it just did not do some stuff well. I think snap on still supports it as far as snap on support goes, (not my favorite people). I'm still going to have to buy a Pico to be a real scope user. I think as far as a scanner goes unless I go factory that snap on is the best thing going. Also there were some real problems with 12.2 operating system I think as long as you get one with a later update than that you will be ok. I hope this helps

More
7 years 2 months ago #7216 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic Verdict
Thanks guys. I decided to pass on the verdict.

More
7 years 2 months ago #7218 by Ben
I think that's a good choice ! I really think I'd buy the modis ultra again even If it would of cost more the processor on this thing is so fast boot up happens in like 3 seconds and live data is as close to instant as I think possible. And not having personality keys is a huge plus !

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #7237 by ecwurban
My Verus has keys. I'm actually surprised that it doesn't bother me more. By all means I love going off about how big of dicks Snapon is for giving you such crap hardware in their devices that come with 10grand price tags... For example, the processor in the Verus Pro is equivalent to a BOTTOM end processor from the mid 2000s. They only JUST started putting solid state hard drives in them with the Verus Edge. It took them so bloody long to get rid of keys... These are supposed to be top of the line products that very much have top of the line price tags yet they have bottom of the line hardware.... I'm VERY sour about it... :angry:

However, I can work with the keys. When I got my Verus it came with a complete set of keys. I think the only one I'm missing is the newest one from Subaru which is like for 2014+ Subarus. I like that I can power the scanner from the OBD2 port and it's much quicker communicating and going in and out of modules than our shop's Verdict. It is a bit of a nuisance when you have to go in and out of a bunch of modules and one or two of them take different keys. That sucks. Plus they're going to start phasing out new support for keyed machines.

But ya, I definitely don't consider keys to be a deal breaker. If I had to choose between mine and the wireless, non keyed version of mine... if the difference in price were $800 I'd definitely go with the keyed version. If the difference were less than $500 then I might go with the wireless version but I'd have to hum and haw about it.

All in all they're great machines. You can do a lot with them. I just think they're at least 20% over inflated in price.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by ecwurban.

More
7 years 2 months ago #7239 by Ben
That's a tough 1 I've always had to use keys when other came out with the smart adapter the shop upgraded to it, it was so slow! I bought my own otc with keys just so I wouldn't have to use that slug but I sure don't feel that way with the ultra this thing is fast! And it supports auto vehicle ID which I always use and full mode scan which I don't always use but sure is handy when there lit up like a Christmas tree

More
7 years 2 months ago #7249 by ecwurban
I actually like the scan all modules function. I work at a tranny shop so I do a lot of driveline diag. So I'll check Engine, Trans, ABS, BCM, Transfer Case, any kind of stability control, anything that might affect driveline. My Verus is right at the point where I have the option to do it on some vehicles. On some vehicles I'll see all the codes in all the modules. Other vehicles I'll just see a number of how many codes are in each module and won't give me specifics. It at least lets me know which modules I can skip. On one of the newer updates they add this function to every vehicle. They also add the option of clearing codes from all modules which is rather handy.

My biggest frustration with it was this one time I was checking a digital transmission range sensor on a Ford. I didn't have very useful data. I had to back probe 4 different signals wires and operate the shifter to see what I got on each wire. I remember thinking that it was dumb having to backprobe them. There should have been a PID for each... Instead of spending near an hour it would have only taken 5 mins. After I was done everything I hooked up my Autel handheld scanner and that thing actually gave me PIDs for those wires! I had access to a LOT of data on it that I didn't on my expensive Verus! I was actually pretty pissed off. I can handle my gripes I have with it. It should be faster.... The keys are annoying... etc. But my $300 handheld scanner that I've had for 10 years gave me more functionality than the Verus... It would have saved me an hour of time! :angry:

More
7 years 2 months ago #7250 by Ben
Yea some of there missing functionality is ridiculous! To pay that much money for a scanner it should be able to do absolutely anything a cheap scanner can and so much more!

More
7 years 2 months ago #7261 by Gary B
Replied by Gary B on topic Re:Verdict
I only had the Verus Wireless for about a week, I paid $3,000 for it, had 16.2 or 16.4, don't remember, Euro kit with keys. I miss it. I really like my Solus Edge, it boots up in less than 5 seconds but I just don't have the functionality that I had with the Verus. I can't touch on an PID to make it graph, touch again to make it a PID again and thereby make it "float to the top" so to speak so I do a lot of scrolling, I can lock PIDs but only three. The digitizer must have been bad on it, the screen was all but unresponsive and compared to how fast the ones are that Paul uses in his videos, even the older ones, the one I had was really slow to change screens. I hated to send it back. Was nice to have a scope but what I REALLY miss is the Component Tester, having that database is really a big deal to me. I hoped that the Solus would have more in it, there's not much there unless I'm missing something.

Modis has a two channel scope, is that right? What accessories do you have for it Ben? Do you have the Euro kit and if so do you use it much? Does it have the Component Tester database that the Verus has?

More
7 years 2 months ago #7263 by Ben
Hey Gary yes modis ultra only has 2 channel scope I haven't tried to make it a pod instead of a graph mine comes up with all graphs which I prefer to graph anyways . Yes it has component tester . I have euro but don't use it much I have a pc base Ross tech vag com for vw and audi which is generally what I use as it covers 100%

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds