A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Oscilloscope Setup

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #50216 by message4david
How do I set up my scanner and scope for this on a vehicle?

An ignition analyzer or ignition oscilloscope that displays at least: primary ignition system voltage and coil oscillations, and firing voltage and spark duration of the secondary ignition system. For distributor equipped, vehicles, the device shall display this information for all cylinders at the same time.

Any help with pictures showing how to setup my Autel Maxisys Elite scanner with Autel MP408 Oscilloscope would be greatly appreciated. I'm more of a visual learner rather than reading a book. Thanks in advance. 

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by message4david.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #50218 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic Oscilloscope Setup
A secondary ignition probe hooked to the coil wire (going to the dizzy) and a second channel on any of the plug wires as a sync will be more useful than an amp clamp alone.....

A sole amp clamp may reveal a problem  in the secondary - such as an open - by a high overshoot but there are so much more possible causes for a mifire a secondary probe could teach you. Also, an amp clamp alone won´t be able to identify specific cylinders on a distribuitor ignition system.

Dont know if the maxiscope allows for raster or parade display, if not you would have to scroll through the recorded waveforms.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50224 by message4david
Replied by message4david on topic Oscilloscope Setup
Would you have any pictures showing how to set this up?

More
2 years 8 months ago #50231 by juergen.scholl
I´ll take some picture if tomorrow a distribuitor car drops in. You do have a secondary probe (or two)?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50232 by message4david
Replied by message4david on topic Oscilloscope Setup
Yes, I had purchased the secondary ignition probe for COP. It’s the Hantek HT25COP. For the distributor type, the Autel MP408 comes with a secondary ignition pickup. Can you show how you setup your scanner and oscilloscope with both types of ignition, COP and distributor type? Thanks a million.

This is what I’m trying to learn:
An ignition analyzer or ignition oscilloscope that displays at least: primary ignition system voltage and coil oscillations, and firing voltage and spark duration of the secondary ignition system.

For distributor equipped vehicles, the device shall display this information for all cylinders at the same time.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50233 by juergen.scholl

This is what I’m trying to learn:
An ignition analyzer or ignition oscilloscope that displays at least: primary ignition system voltage and coil oscillations, and firing voltage and spark duration of the secondary ignition system.

For distributor equipped vehicles, the device shall display this information for all cylinders at the same time.
I´ll try to record something useful....8-)

Meanwhile this may help you in your quest of ignition analysis:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tutti57

Time to create page: 0.331 seconds