A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

European cars DTC setting procedure

More
2 years 8 months ago #49925 by guafa
Hello guys,

Looking for any book, guide, TBS, website (anything actually) which allows me to know the strategies/procedures european car (specially at moment Renault systems) use to set DTC's.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 8 months ago #49937 by Noah
When I need that information I resort to the shops service information subscription.
All Data, Mitchell and identafix are the most common subscriptions I see shops using here in the U.S.A.
They buy the information from the manufacturer and sell it to independents, so it's not uncommon for some information to get "lost in translation."
The other option is to go right to the source. Many manufacturers will sell you subscriptions of varying length, a few days up to a year.
There aren't any Renault branded vehicles here, so I can't speak specifically to what they may offer, but if that's the brand you're most focused on then I would attempt to purchase a sub directly through them.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: guafa

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #49951 by guafa
Thank you Noah, could you please guide me a little bit more in deep?

Following, an example of what i can extract from Mitchel for 94 Buick Roadmaster P0101 code. "PCM monitors the MAF sensor frequency and can determine if sensor is stuck low, stuck high, not providing the airflow value expected for a given operating condition, or that the signal variation expected during normal operation is not present.
This test checks for a stuck MAF sensor signal. If MAF sensor frequency varies less than a predetermined minimum amount, DTC will set
."

I would like to find something about "That given operating condition". For instance:
*ECT above 185F
*Vehicle speed at about 45MPH more than 2 minutes
*Heavy load
*TPS above 70%
*Then if frequency is below XXX KHz, the code will be set like "pending" for the next 3 cycles and on the fourth cycle, MIL will be set ON

Thanks in advance
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by guafa.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 8 months ago #49983 by Noah
Unfortunately, it's going to be hit or miss depending on the information available.
For that particular vehicle and that particular code, the service information I have available to me has virtually no code set criteria.
I find that is pretty common of pre obd, even pre CAN vehicles.
A better example from something I worked on last week is this 2006 Silverado with a knock sensor code:

Another service information might provide more information on the example you choose considering the Buick, it may not. 
You don't know what you won't know until you know. 

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: guafa

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds