A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Mobile Organisation + Storage, what ya got ?

More
2 years 10 months ago #48861 by Wightscope
Right at the start of my mobile diag journey I decided to be as organised as possible and hunted around for a storage solution that was not going to cost as much as a scan tool or add a bunch of weight.
I wanted something that I could stick on a lightweight trolley/sack truck and compartmentalise depending on the job. I also wanted easy access and visibility for tools and electronics.I felt there was no point in having it all in a van/car/truck as I would be wasting time going back and forth to get the thing I didn't bring (plus junk expands to fill the space available for it!). I wanted it at the vehicle, which is often in a workshop.

Whilst I didn't find a single solution for everything after a few false starts this is what's working well. These Stanley Fatmax or Dewalt (DWST14825) deep, sealed storage boxes with removable trays - the ones with the metal clips and waterproof seal. Some of them I use all the divider boxes, some of them I have almost all of them removed, they stack and clip together so you can carry 3 in each hand, or stack them on a light weight trolley.

I tried a number of different bags but settled on this large "Amazon Basics Electricians bag" for grab and go. There's room for a couple of laptops and two or more scan tools. The sides drop open on straps so everything most used is at hand. It has loads of pockets and areas for visible storage - one downside is some of the narrow pockets are very deep - lost an attenuator for a week down one of them - now most scope stuff is in yellow boxes.

Finally, again going with visibility and having tried a few different things I settled on this Stanley/Dewalt tool tote for toting my tools. So far this pretty much covers everything. As I created the tool bag pretty much from scratch I went with colour coded tools as I just find it faster and easier.

The go kit

Finally, the important thing not shown is a 4ft folding table, this opens in seconds and goes right where I need it so I am not balancing stuff on the car or tripping over stuff on the floor. Tools and go-bag go on top and boxes as required underneath.

Always looking for new ideas what's yours?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #48862 by Dtnel
Nice setup! My stuff has been stuffed in Snap-On tool bags as they were free but there's only so many colors.

Can you throw some links up for the backpack, the bag that's zipped closed as well?

Still waiting on @Scannerdanner to do a "This is my mobile setup" tour. I asked a couple years ago. Maybe I should ask Caleb as he's the man making things happen with those high quality videos these days.

Def gave me a few ideas with some of your organization.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #48863 by Wightscope
It's the same bag in the pics, it opens out on either side.
US Amazon
www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Electricians...id=1620917450&sr=8-1
UK Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Electricia...d=1620910105&sr=8-62

It's a carry-all rather than a backpack. I could not find a backpack that would open out.

I have seen two mobile setups on YT, one was great and very organised and one was a mess. Both great guys but I just like an organised environment and I think it looks professional to the client too.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Wightscope.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds