A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Mitchell or AllData wiring diagrams?

More
2 years 11 months ago #48195 by jehurd
After viewing a bunch of SD and other repair videos, a recurrent complaint is that the redrawn Mitchell color wiring diagrams don't match the actual component wiring in question. Can I get some feedback from users who have used both? How often do you encounter errors in either brand of diagrams? Do you prefer one over the other?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48200 by Chad
I have used both. Both have the same re-drawn color diagrams AND OEM diagrams.

a recurrent complaint is that the redrawn Mitchell color wiring diagrams don't match the actual component wiring in question

MOST of the time the redrawn diagrams are accurate. But, you will run into discrepancies, on occasion. The OEM diagrams will help get past these discrepancies.

I prefer All-Data over Mitchell/Shopkey because All-data, depending on your web browser (I use Firefox), will span ALL pages of the schematics, side-by-side, and allow you to zoom and pan ALL pages, at once. You can, also, zoom in by double left-clicking anywhere on the the schematic, and zoom out by double right-clicking. Mitchell makes you use zoom buttons.

Also, when you click on a circuit to highlight it, All-data will highlight that circuit across ALL pages, simultaneously.

With Mitchell/Shopkey, you can only view ONE page of the schematics, at a time. And when you highlight a circuit on ONE page, it does not highlight that circuit on the other pages.

The one thing I like more about Mitchell/Shopkey is the component location feature. All-data, basically, doesn't have this.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jehurd

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 11 months ago #48244 by Noah
I also prefer all data to Mitchell. For me the navigation is more intuitive and search results yield relevant information where as Shop Key (Snap Ons branded Mitchell) makes you work harder to pick relevant information out of a search.
Also the diagram lay out of all data is much easier to use as Chad said.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 11 months ago #48245 by John Curtis
Bosch redraws the wiring diagrams and that is where all the redrawn colored wiring diagrams come from. Alldata also includes OEM diagrams. I don't remember if mitchell does or not. Actually contemplating getting identifix at the moment because I don't really like the flow of alldata but I'm getting used to it.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
2 years 10 months ago #48840 by AguilarPro
Mitchell, finding information is better and I always tend to go back to Mitchell when I try to use AllData. You type in the keywords for specs and they show right up in the first window and you have all the options. I type "firing order" in mitchell and it gives me the diagrams with cylinder locations and firing order. AllData was giving me irrelevant information when I type that in the search box. I also noted some specs being too high for torque in alldata.
I would think alldata has more OEM data but it appears that they have rewritten a lot of technical data as well. A lot of the information is a copy and paste from the same source from what I have noticed.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds