A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Help me decide on a scan tool

More
3 years 1 week ago #48180 by Shawnba67
I have recently retired from a Chrysler dealership, although I was the all makes all models guy. And am looking to be a psuedo business in my free time. I mostly work on late model Domestic/Asian. I feel I need the ability to reset and reconfigure modules. IE Mopar TIPM and other module replacements, recal power steering elec motors and such. Tpms would be a bonus but since I dont have a tire machine it isnt neccesary. I do not want to spend a dollar more than I need to, but I can justify a bit northward of a grand.
I have used a Matco MAXYS(i think) it seemed fairly capable but it was awful trying to navigate the verbage and the layout was all wonky.
Had a OTC Genisys 5.0 and I liked it fairly well but it was lacking ability in several areas, but I liked it alot more than the Maxgo. I now do not have the paycheck hooked to the clock quite so tightly and could maybe learn a Maxgo type layout.
Have used some of the Snap ON scanners but not extensively. Can you guys help me in the right direction?
Ive recently turned away a tipm on an 04 Ram and an Elec steering motor on a 14 Taurus for not having the scan tool capability to properly do them. (I will admit on the taurus I assumed it would require scan calibration or such)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #48186 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Help me decide on a scan tool
I've owned Snap On scanners my whole career. They don't do everything but no tool does. I have borrowed a launch and autel from time to time to try and get around some things the snap on wouldn't do and they're fine tools. I think Snap On pid graphing is better, navigation is more intuitive and built in troubleshooter and component tests add value.
A long time member is currently selling a Modis which also has a 2ch scope built in: www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...ltra-16-2.html#48087

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Noah.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48189 by Andy.MacFadyen
I am with Noah on this.
You're needing a tool that can handle some of the most advanced functions and the problem is from the maufacturers sales blurb it is pretty well imposible to tell what tool X or Y or Z do on each manufacturer. Snap-on is probably your best bet, having said that you will probably find something it won't do ---- such is life.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
3 years 1 week ago #48193 by Ben
I used a Snapon Modis Ultra for several years (has 2 channel oscilloscope) it worked great for everything except where j2534 programming was required. I recently switched to an OTC Evolve (because I needed to add j2534) it works good but it's definitely not as streamlined as the Snapon also the data pids (arguably the most important part) are wayyyyyy better in Snapon both do relearn procedures & Tpms (and much more) but it's very helpful to have a tpms activation tool along with the scan tool.

I also used the old OTC genesis years ago and that thing was horrible compared to any of the newer scan tools

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds