A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Scanner Recomendations

More
3 years 1 week ago #48122 by Dinos55
There are so many brands of scanners to choose from and I am advance DIY'ER so I am looking for some suggestions on the best scanner in the price range of $300-350, working on a 98 Chevy C1500 miss fire only when going a hill, runs great at all other times plus I want to bleed brakes with ABS. I want to graph the fuel trims verses the O2 sensors ETC.

Thanks!
Dino

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 days ago #48158 by 70monte
Replied by 70monte on topic Scanner Recomendations
I have an Innova 5610 which is a decent scanner in your price range and has some bi-directional capabilities.

I have the same truck except 4x4 and you don't need a scanner to bleed the brakes on this truck. I've owned my truck since new and have bled the brakes numerous times over the years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
3 years 5 days ago #48188 by Andy.MacFadyen
With a skipping going up hills the first suspect is usually a secondary ignition fault ---- plugs, plug leads, distrobutor cap, coil anywhere the ignition spark can find a way to jump to ground without going accross the spark plug gap.
When the engine is pulling hard the the gas pedal is down and the throttle dosen't restrict the air going into the cylinders so the preesure inside the cylinder increases and so the spark needs more kilo volts for the spark to cross the spark plug gap. All those kilo volts will look for an easier way to ground so will try and jump to ground through the insulation on the coil or plug lead or distributor cap or the ceramic insulator on plug itself.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
3 years 4 days ago #48219 by Dinos55
Replied by Dinos55 on topic Scanner Recomendations
I did a complete tune up "Plugs,Wires,Cap,Roter" Even changed the Ing. coil, No help
I must admit I did turn into a parts changer trying to find the issue:
MAF Sensor
MAP Sensor
Crank Angle Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
That's what lead me to Dan's web site to find the problem the correct way.

Dino

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #49756 by Dinos55
Replied by Dinos55 on topic Scanner Recomendations
Still attempting to solve my issue with my 1998 C1500 missing only when under a load "Uphill" I did an exhaust back pressure test and didn't see what I was expecting,  I was expecting to see high back pressures but I seem to have a vacuum on the higher RPM's I did block off the EGR valve but still have the missing up the hill issue. however the EGR is reconnected on the test.

Please see the video of my test results results and please give me your feed back as to what you think.

Thanks!
Dino

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Dinos55.

More
2 years 9 months ago #49757 by juergen.scholl
No video attached??

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #60595 by 70monte
Replied by 70monte on topic Scanner Recomendations
Have you checked the fuel pressure? A fuel injector that is not working or not working correctly can cause a misfire especially under load.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds