A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Launch CRP123 cannot connect to obd2 but reads car specific data

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #48095 by ThingWizard
Hi!

I just bought a Launch CRP123 from my 2002 Renault Scenic. Before I just had an elm237 reader that worked ok just using bluetooth to my phone, but I could not read any vehicle specific data with it, just the main OBDII stuff.

Here is my problem:

The CRP123 refuses to connect using obd2. "Error in communication. Please check: 1.If tool's OBD connector is connected to the vehicle's DLC. 2.If the ignition is ON. 3. Verify that the vehicle is OBDII compliant" I believe the 2002 Scenic uses the ISO14230-4 KWP Fast protocol which is supported by the Launch CRP123

However, the manufacturer specific scan works, so I can get data from the ignition and ABS system for example.

Anyone out there know what the problem could be? I think it's strange that it does not connect using OBDII

Help!
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by ThingWizard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #48096 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have had issues connection to Senics of this era with different diagnostic tools, in the end it was an issue because in both cases it didn't take a genius to diagnose faulty coil pack.
The car likely not fully EOBD compliant EOBD came into force for cars manufactured from mid 2003 for petrol cars and a year later for Diesels and the French manufacturers were right at the back of the pack

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThingWizard

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #48097 by ThingWizard
Thanx Andy - aah I see, yeah - In my case I wanted to find which wheel sensor caused the ABS-light to come on, and that was the front left. So the scantool actually reads all these specific systems. Which is good, however strangely enough like I wrote, my simple chinese ELM237 Clone Bluetooth device reads the OBDII data without any problem :) If it can do it, the Launch should too - one would think.

Edit1: So, have I understood this correctly. The car specific data is not read through the same OBDII system and protocol, but uses some specific protocol not reliant on the OBDII connection being established?

Edit2: These cars eat coil packs for breakfast. I think I have changed 3 packs the last 5 years.
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by ThingWizard.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds