A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Laptop Recommendations

More
3 years 1 month ago #47140 by AJeep18
Looking to get a laptop for getting on prodemand, programming, running any software I need, and hopefully someday capable of running a pico. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm more of a Mac guy but that doesn't seem to be an option. I was planning on like a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. Do I need more? Is touchscreen really helpful, or just one more thing to break?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #47150 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Laptop Recommendations
I'm running an 8 year old Thinkpad with 8GB and 256GB SSD and it does fine with 'scope software and such. Though if you're looking at programming you should go with an SSD large enough to run a partitioned OS for each OEM. Probably 1TB or better.

Paid less than $100 for it a year ago with no HDD and threw the SSD from my old machine in it. Even if I'd bought an SSD and upped the ram to 16GB I'd only be into it maybe $200. Going with a used business class laptop is definitely worth considering since you're concerned about things breaking. This thing is built way stouter than anything you can buy new at the consumer level.

Whatever you end up getting install shrinkwrap Win 10 Pro. Consumer windoze plus OEM bloatware sucks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds