A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Affordable Scope Options

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #579 by OldSchool
Hi. I've got a 1997 honda accord EX 4CYL SOHC vTec 2.2L Auto. Stock. F22B1 Engine with 116k miles AND I suspect that the TDC sensor (which is part of a combination CKP/TDC sensor on this engine, behind the timing cover) is bad. Naturally, I wish to determine with reasonable certainty that this part is bad before I undertake this job or perhaps pay someone else to do it.

My question is what is the cheapest tool or scope that I could purchase to achieve my goal? Please keep in mind: I have both a windows 10 & linux laptop (with wifi and bluetooth) that I could connect to this tool, AND also, the cost of the software, if not included in the tool purchase. I plan to sell this vehicle once repaired.

Thanks!

P.S. Thanks for moving this, Noah!
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by OldSchool. Reason: clarity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #665 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Affordable Scope Options
Got ya

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 8 months ago #671 by YTInnovativeSolution
I am also interested in the same thing. Laptop running MAC, Linux, or WinDoze - What's the best bang for the buck to achieve a functional automotive scope..?

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #682 by Andy.MacFadyen
The Hantek 1008b or 1008c offers a lot of bang for very few bucks it is a virtual scope that runs on Windows via a USB connection. The software isn't great but the same can be said of that from most Chinese companies and lacks some features but it has guided automotive tests and comes with some useful accersories. The Hantek hasn't got a working AC setting but this can be worked around with simple 1$/£1/1euro hardware trick. Also older versions of the software couldn't invert the screen trace. Inverting the trace is very useful when looking at some ignition systems but I have recently loaded software version 10.8 and found it can. The Hantek 1008 has 8 channels but in reality it is best regarded as a 2 channel scope as all the channels share the same hardware resources.

The other low cost option are one of the DSO Nano scopes these are tiny palm sized devices smaller than most mobile phones The little DSO201 Nano is the cheapest but the firmware loaded when it comes from the supplier is pretty well useless, however the firmware can be upgraded to the free Ben-F firmware which turns it into a brilliant little scope, loading new firmware is very similar to installing a custom android version on a phone.
AesWave sell a special version of the DSO201 with customised firmware specially for automotive use , this firmware is excellent but obiously you will pay a reasonable price premium for their intelectual property and marketing. Both the DSO201 Nano and the Uscope are single channel scopes.

The DSO203 Nano is the next option sold as 4 channel scope it actually only has 2 analogue scope channels I have never tried one but it seems to get good reviews with the original firmware and 2 channels.
The DSO201 and the DSO203 and the basic version of the Uscope come without accesories apart from a basic oscillope probe, but you can find any accessories you need on eBay or Amazon

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, YTInnovativeSolution, gimmick1

More
7 years 8 months ago #693 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Affordable Scope Options
Thanks Andy!

More
7 years 8 months ago #696 by OldSchool
Replied by OldSchool on topic Affordable Scope Options
1 channel, 2 ch, 3ch..... Four...! Bandwidth... Sample rates... adaptors... probes/test leads... Oh my!
sure wish I knew what these things meant in relation to testing an engine sensor. No time for learning that now though. Barely keeping up life...

I would like to know though: If I purchase either of your suggestions, what accessories (such as probes) will I need for my specific task?

BTW, for anyone interested: The DS0 Nanno v1 is about $70 and v3 is about $90 on ebay and the hantek is similarly priced.
Here's an informative link on the DSO nano www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/DSO_Nano

More
7 years 8 months ago #698 by Andy.MacFadyen
The truth is for all the big words the only real difference from using a scope to using a volt meter is the scope draws a picture of voltage over time. Learning to work one is a bit like learning to use a new TV or smart phone in that you will only ever use less than 1/4 of the features and the only way to learn to use it start pushing buttons to see what happens.

Having two channels is a bit like using two voltmeters or a voltmeter and an ammeter at the same time. You can do at lot with a single channel but two channels are increasingly needed for checking that two signals are in sync for example checking the cam sensor timing against crank sensor, which is much like checking the mechaical timing marks are correctly lined up.

Having a high bandwidth or sampling rate isn't that important for automotive work

Probes are just the tools used to make connections or pick-up signals. Some make a direct contact electrical connection (such as back probes or alligator clips) or use capictance or inductance effects (secondary ignition probes and amp clamps) to pick up a signal.

More
7 years 8 months ago #701 by mikePSKperformance
jsyn, on a side note from the technical/ tooling aspect of the post, past experiences have lead me to find a blown out balance shaft seal to contaminate the sensors with oil on the F series motors causing premature failure. IF and when you finally get in there, i highly recommend it gets changed as well! A recent timing belt service is always A BIG seller for a quick sale!

If it is worth doing, its worth doing right

More
7 years 8 months ago #704 by YTInnovativeSolution

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: The truth is for all the big words the only real difference from using a scope to using a volt meter is the scope draws a picture of voltage over time. Learning to work one is a bit like learning to use a new TV or smart phone in that you will only ever use less than 1/4 of the features and the only way to learn to use it start pushing buttons to see what happens.

Exactly!! If one becomes familiar with a scope, the ability to use a regular DMM grows exponentially.

More
7 years 8 months ago #723 by Andy.MacFadyen
The first scope I ever used was a "Champion Plug Scope" --- we were actually given it for free by the Champion rep. This video shows one in action --- please don't laugh :lol:

More
2 years 10 months ago #49334 by AJeep18
Replied by AJeep18 on topic Affordable Scope Options
Thanks, but this was a discussion on automotive oscilloscopes not riflescopes :) 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
2 years 10 months ago #49338 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Affordable Scope Options
Nice catch! B) :lol:

More
2 years 9 months ago #50005 by marwee
Replied by marwee on topic Affordable Scope Options
Those were the good old days!!! life was sooooo simple, Hee Hee.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51587 by advancedleveldiagnostics
I think the best option for starting out is the pico 2204A. I used it for a year before I got a 4425A and I was really happy, it really taught me how to scope. Its very user friendly and the software is free. The downside of an 8bit scope is the horizontal resolution so it's not the greatest for in cylinder waveforms.

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds