A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Testing ohms.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6223 by Ppkumar
Testing ohms. was created by Ppkumar
I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if my question is going to be in the right area. But it is on the topic of repair. When testing ohms/ resistance does the sensor need to be unplugged? So for an example if I'm testing the steering wheel Evo sensor. Am I able to back probe the wires without unplugging the sensor and without turning on the vehicle perform a resistance test? Could I also do this with other sensors on the vehicle? Back probe without unplugging the sensor to test ohms. I understand power cannot be present when testing ohms so the vehicle would not be on. I just feel like on some sensors it would be easier to back probe them then to unplug them due to lack of space.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6224 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Testing ohms.
Hey, Ppkumar, welcome! I moved this one to Diagnostic Tools, but no worries about where you started out. ;) It's totally related to repair, no doubt.

Unfortunately, the correct way to do ohm checks like you're describing is to unplug whatever component you're testing. :( There's nothing to stop you from doing it plugged in, of course, but the readings may be skewed.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6233 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Testing ohms.
Tyler wrote:

Unfortunately, the correct way to do ohm checks like you're describing is to unplug whatever component you're testing. :( There's nothing to stop you from doing it plugged in, of course, but the readings may be skewed.

Welcome Ppkumar. Just like Tyler says....unplug them.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds