A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Longer leads for Snap On Modis Ultra

More
3 years 2 months ago #46781 by Ferox
Hi all,

I'm using my Modis pretty much everyday but the test leads are to short. I know i can buy longer leads from Aeswave but i'm living in the Netherlands and due to shipping and taxes the price will almost double.

Are there other leads that i can use to lengthen them? Banana doesn't work, i know the Snap On ones are shielded but sometimes is unshielded better than no leads ;).

I can use port 1 with banana but then i can't ground the second port. The other thing i can do is BNC tot banana but i personally hate that solution.

Like to hear your solutions/thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46788 by Matt T
The quick and dirty solution is to get some 4mm banana couplers which'll allow you to connect a regular test lead to the end of your Snap-on lead. Or you can buy 4mm male x female extension leads. Neither of those options will give you shielding on the extension though.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 2 months ago #46805 by Noah
All the channels share the same ground so as long as you have the black lead hooked up, you're good to go.
I have, in a pinch, made a set a of leads to test the fuel pump driver in the trunk of of a Lincoln with the Verus on the front seat.
At the time I was working at a junk yard, so it was easy to grab a set of RCA cables from a car stereo (they were already the length of a whole car) and just put banana lead ends on them.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 years 2 months ago #46841 by Ferox
Thanks that are some good tips. But what i don't understand, when they share ground why the green lead have the ground also?

More
3 years 2 months ago #46842 by Matt T

Ferox wrote: Thanks that are some good tips. But what i don't understand, when they share ground why the green lead have the ground also?

Green isn't the ground lead it's just one of the four color coded channel leads. Has a ground for shielding same as the other three.

• Noah
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #46858 by Noah

Ferox wrote: Thanks that are some good tips. But what i don't understand, when they share ground why the green lead have the ground also?

That's the "feel good" ground B)
As long as you have the scope grounded, you don't exactly need to use the black lead that's hanging off the green one. You could plug any single test lead into CH 2.

Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Noah.

• Noah
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #46859 by Noah

That's the "feel good" ground B)
Like Matt mentioned, it's for shielding.
As long as you have the scope grounded, you don't exactly need to use the black lead that's hanging off the green one. You could plug any single test lead into CH 2.

Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Noah.

More
3 years 1 month ago #46964 by Ferox
Ah ok, i understand it now. Thanks for the help guys!

More
3 years 1 month ago #46972 by Dtnel
A little late for my answer but I'd recommend calling Jorge at AES wave and speak with him especially if you have other items you're considering getting as maybe they can work a "bundle" deal with you.

More
3 years 1 month ago #47132 by Ferox
Yes that's also a good idea. It's mostly the taxes that makes it expensive.

More
3 years 1 month ago #47134 by Matt T
Steve at Simply Diag mentioned getting a longer lead from Warwick Test Supplies in a video yesterday. They're in the UK so might work out cheaper??

More
3 years 1 month ago #47217 by Ferox

Matt T wrote: Steve at Simply Diag mentioned getting a longer lead from Warwick Test Supplies in a video yesterday. They're in the UK so might work out cheaper??

Great tip Matt! I'm gonna order them.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds