A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Monitoring negative pressure in a crankcase could avoid a "leak down test"?

More
3 years 2 months ago #46163 by Smeter12
Hey,

Now I know measuring negative pressure of a crankcase can help one determine the condition of the piston rings. With that in mind, I have 2 questions:

1) the negative pressure in the crankcase is achieved when the piston is on its compression or exhaust stroke?
2) monitoring negative pressure in the crankcase is a pretty good way to avoid the labor time to complete a "leak down test"?

As always, thoughts appreciated and thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46447 by Hardtopdr2
Negative pressure is achieved by the pcv valve and manifold vacuum.

The monitoring of negative pressure in crank case does not eliminate the need to do a leakdown test as it is 1/4 of the places leaks can go. I.E. crankcase, exhaust system, intake and out the coolant system are the 4 possibilities. The leak down test will eliminate 3 out of 4 possibilities leaving coolant system which can be tested via a pulse sensor, chem test (to an extent), pressure test of coolant system, rubber glove on coolant cap, evaluation of the oil in oil pan and coolant leaks around cylinder heads.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46559 by Andy.MacFadyen
One thing to keep in mind is that worn or broken oil control rings cause high oil consumption without any major effect on compression pressure.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds