A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Bosch 525X vs Autel 906BT

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #44764 by AJeep18
I am a fairly new automotive tech, and a saving to buy my first scan tool. I was fairly set on the Autel 906BT due to its relatively low price and numerous features. However, I see that Bosch has recently released a new scanner (525X) and wondered if anyone had any experience with it? I can't really find any reviews online, except for ScannerDanner's short video featuring it :). I like that it would be able to program modules using the VCI and a laptop; I don't really see a big use for the wiring diagrams and other features as my shop has ProDemand, and I'm probably too cheap to keep paying for the subscription! I mostly work on light duty diesel trucks right now, but would certainly like a scanner with the ability to help me diagnose anything. Thanks- Andrew

Also any feedback from how the other Bosch tools work would be appreciated if you do not have experience with the 525
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by AJeep18. Reason: Spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #44813 by Nelson60
Replied by Nelson60 on topic Bosch 525X vs Autel 906BT
I've owned the 525X since the latter part of September. Bought it to replace an old first Generation SO Modis that could no longer be updated since 2016. I decided on the 525x due to the included compliant VCI pass thru which will allow me to get into the programming side of auto repair in the shop. I have experience with the shop's Autel Maxisys also plus the above mentioned SO Modis. Also, I got a great deal on the 525x when I purchased it, paid about $1650. (Check around on internet for a good price, they are out there)
What I like about it: 1.Very fast operating system, using Android 9.0. It a little different interface/main menu screen that takes a bit to get used to but not a big deal. 2. Great battery life: i usually just leave it on "sleep" mode and maybe charge it twice a week after many uses.3. Does pre/post scans and stores in a PDF folder with ability to email right from the tool. (Autel has a clumsy/non functioning email capability) 4. Great depth of coverage and bi-directional capabilities. So far, every bi-directional control I requested did actually work (unlike Autel) 5. Current vehicles MY2020 already in software. I connected to a 2020 Honda CRV that came by for low tire pressure warning light. The amount of coverage, controls,etc for this vehicle was extensive.
What I don't like: 1.Scanner feels a little cheap as far as hardware goes. It is basically a Samsung tablet with a Bosch outer skin. 2: Only 32g of HD memory, non expandable. Not sure if this will be a problem later on. 3. Haven't seen much capability for initializing new keys. It might be there but haven't really looked for it.
Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase, especially at the low price I found it. Where else can you get a fully compliant Bosch VCI complaint J2534 at this price with a scanner? This is a great alternative to a Snap On scanner, especially due to the fact that it is wireless for such a low price. As far as the wiring diagrams, I let the free subscription expire after the 30 day trial. We have Alldata in the shop and I prefer to print out diagrams and have them on paper instead of looking at a 10" screen on a scanner.
I hope this helps you in you decision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJeep18

More
3 years 4 months ago #44815 by AJeep18
Replied by AJeep18 on topic Bosch 525X vs Autel 906BT
I really appreciate the feedback! Exactly what I was looking for. I am definitely leaning towards the Bosch. I basically just want a good reliable scan tool and the fact that I can use it for programming is just a bonus! Does the Bosch include any sort of “code tips” like some of the SO units do or is that part of the premium subscription?

More
3 years 4 months ago #44816 by AJeep18
Also I work on a lot of trucks, so any experience writing the injector data into the ECM? We had a 2013 Chevy that had new injectors and the SO kept giving error codes when we tried to access that function, but we barely squeaked by with the Tech2 :cheer:

More
3 years 4 months ago #44827 by Nelson60
No code tips in the Bosch unless you continue the subscription that includes wiring diagrams and service info.
That's a plus that this is optional cost on the 525x unlike the ADS625 which does no give you an option to discontinue the wiring diagrams. The yearly updates on the 525x will be less expensive because of this.
Also, the 525x has lifetime warranty as long as the software subscription does no lapse.

More
3 years 4 months ago #44829 by Nelson60
So far, I have not had to do any injector coding using the 525x so I can not answer how that function works. However, so far, every active function that I have used so far works without any problem since getting the 525x in late September. Like any scan tool, I sure there are some holes in it that will require another scan tool to complete the repair.
The 525x is the first scanner I pick up now doing any diagnostic work. It also have the typical service resets found in other scanners such as ABS brake bleed, steering angle resets, etc.
I just checked an found that Zoro is selling it for $1569,61, with free shipping. That's $100 less than I paid for it. A sure great deal for such a capable wireless scanner.
Bosch just pushed thru a new software update two days ago. I left the scanner on charge and the VCI powered up (to 110v outlet/power supply) and it took two hours to update. A lot of new additions and functions in this update.
I noticed that Bosch has released a larger screen version, the 625X. Not sure the cost.
Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJeep18

More
3 years 4 months ago #44860 by AJeep18
Thanks I really appreciate it! I will make sure to update you when I get one! Looking at getting it from here www.djvmerchandise.com/Bosch-3945-ADS-52...an-Tool_p_11850.html

More
3 years 4 months ago #44861 by Nelson60
That's one heck of deal on the 525x.
Let me know how it works out for you in the shop

More
3 years 3 months ago #45304 by AJeep18
Well had a special package waiting for me this week. :) NEW TOY!!!!!! I haven't used it a ton, still trying to figure out how everything works. Definitely a little slower than the SO that I am used to using, but this one is MINE! I like the way it displays data pretty well and all the actuator tests I played around with did indeed work. I do wish it was a little faster at finding codes though. If you scan one module it isn't too bad, but a full system scan takes FOREVER. The ability to save and share reports is really handy and easy to use.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds