A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Re:Tools that changed your life!

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #9000 by gav09
Replied by gav09 on topic Tools that changed your life!
www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-a...g/headlamp/coast-hl7

A headlamp is the one thing I can't live without. Bad thing is switching out batteries all the time but it lights up where you are looking and you wont forget it under the hood.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #9012 by Rockyroad
That is cool,looking at all the ingenuity makes me feel like I've just been unfrozen like Walt Disney

Someday I'll figure this out

More
7 years 2 days ago - 7 years 2 days ago #9486 by Paul Marchant
Finally, a battery light which actually does what I want when working on a vehicle.

(1) Rechargeable - 'cos buying a set of[/img] batteries a day is annoying.
(2) A magnet on the base which is actually strong enough to hold the thing at any angle.
(3) Dimmer control. From annoyingly bright, all the way down to so dim you can't see it.
(4) Slim enough lighting head that you can get it into places without using up all available space
(5) MOST IMPORTANTLY - a flexible shaft which is long enough, flexible enough and actually stays where you put it.

Expensive (£60 by the time I had one shipped to the UK) but worth every single penny.
I used it for the first time the other day, and it's an absolute game changer. Previously, whatever light I used either fell off what ever I magneted it to, or was permanently shining in my eyes and not where I wanted it to be.

My neighbor was over last night for me to have a look at his Saab, and when we finished asked where he could also buy one of them.

www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-30SL...geable/dp/B01JBOKU6Y

Cheers,

Paul
Last edit: 7 years 2 days ago by Paul Marchant. Reason: Pictures.... why can I never get them to work first time...

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 2 days ago #9495 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Tools that changed your life!

Paul Marchant wrote: Finally, a battery light which actually does what I want when working on a vehicle.

(1) Rechargeable - 'cos buying a set of[/img] batteries a day is annoying.
(2) A magnet on the base which is actually strong enough to hold the thing at any angle.
(3) Dimmer control. From annoyingly bright, all the way down to so dim you can't see it.
(4) Slim enough lighting head that you can get it into places without using up all available space
(5) MOST IMPORTANTLY - a flexible shaft which is long enough, flexible enough and actually stays where you put it.

Expensive (£60 by the time I had one shipped to the UK) but worth every single penny.
I used it for the first time the other day, and it's an absolute game changer. Previously, whatever light I used either fell off what ever I magneted it to, or was permanently shining in my eyes and not where I wanted it to be.

My neighbor was over last night for me to have a look at his Saab, and when we finished asked where he could also buy one of them.

www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-30SL...geable/dp/B01JBOKU6Y

Cheers,

Paul

That's a sweet light! I've learned over the years that you get what you pay for when it comes to rechargeable work lights. There's a similar model on the tool truck, I like yours better.
Thanks Paul!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 1 day ago #9509 by Andy.MacFadyen
Life hack alert --- my dirty secret is for speed I often use this for checking 5v reference and 12v supply istr it was £5 from Lidl

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:

• Noah
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #9752 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Tools that changed your life!
I put in my order for that light on the tool truck! Thanks Paul!

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Noah.

More
6 years 11 months ago #9762 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Tools that changed your life!

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I bought one of these last year. It saves a lot of mess and time, CVJ Boot Tool - Air operated

Link to UK seller page

Nice! That sure beats lubing up a tranny funnel!

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #9763 by Chad

Tyler wrote: This Lisle spark plug removal set has saved me TONS of time.

That porcelain remover they added in the newest version of the kit is a game changer. B)

I don't care to admit how many I've broken ;) But I've gotten a lot better about not breaking them in the first place (engine temperature, decarbon procedures, impact wrench). Still, having that set in my toolbox has made me pretty fearless when it comes to Triton plugs.

I have seen the "Hot engine w/ impact gun" method on youtube but, I have never had the courage to try it. I do, however, own the Lisle removal kit, though. ;)

I have a 5.4 on the schedule for next week. :dry:

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Chad.

More
6 years 11 months ago #9765 by Chad
The Power Probe has already been mentioned, so:

Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago #9798 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Tools that changed your life!

pole71 wrote: I have seen the "Hot engine w/ impact gun" method on youtube but, I have never had the courage to try it. I do, however, own the Lisle removal kit, though. ;)

I have a 5.4 on the schedule for next week. :dry:

You got this! I've had a couple trucks that I got all eight out clean with the impact method. Someday, I want to do the same on a V10. It's like my Everest. :lol:

More
6 years 10 months ago #10321 by Ephratah

Made this up to expand exhaust pipes found it on another site and bought the Lisele kit and then the knock out punch kit from Harbor Freight and this thing is great I had the old style that you use impact on and have had to replace it several time under the lifetime warranty and it does not do as nice a job as this stretcher

Hitting it with a Hammer is worth $5 knowing where to hit is worth $40
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
6 years 10 months ago #10330 by Ben
Link to the parts to build this expander?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 10 months ago #10367 by Ephratah
expander
punch kit
let me know if these work or not

Hitting it with a Hammer is worth $5 knowing where to hit is worth $40

• Noah
More
6 years 10 months ago #10374 by Noah
That thing is pretty crafty, I like it!

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 10 months ago #10378 by Ben

Ephratah wrote: expander
punch kit

Thanks I will be putting one one these together soon!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 10 months ago #10397 by Tyler

Ephratah wrote: expander
punch kit

Nice! I just ordered this set a few days ago. B) Definitely gonna see about doing a similar setup, since everyone in the shop hates it when I use my cordless impact to expand pipe...

More
3 years 9 months ago #41426 by RaptorUnit17
I bought a PP3 Master kits years ago and use it for basic stuff because it provides good ground and power wherever I go. I am interested in getting the Hook because I saw some features I thought would save a lot of time but many people say it is not accurate or it will fry modules. I am looking for some feedback from someone who uses Power Probe products enough to be very familiar with them.

1) To power probe or not to power probe: is it accurate and safe enough to use for basic everyday tests to greatly speed up diagnostic work?

2) PP 4 or the Hook and why?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41465 by Tyler

RaptorUnit17 wrote: 1) To power probe or not to power probe: is it accurate and safe enough to use for basic everyday tests to greatly speed up diagnostic work?

I'm totally fine with the PP for all kinds of stuff! I probably don't use mine as often as I could. :blush: But the user has to understand it's limitations, just like any other tool in the box. Because you can power/ground stuff, doesn't mean you should. Because the red + or the green - indicators light up, doesn't mean those circuits are OK.

2) PP 4 or the Hook and why?

I only own a PP3, but if I were to upgrade, I'd probably go with the Hook. Several times, I've found myself with an amp probe in one hand, and my PP3 in the other to power a component AND measure its draw. The Hook can streamline that.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41467 by RaptorUnit17
Tyler: Thanks, I mainly want to reduce the number of tools I have to carry around and make the process as fast as possible. I really like the idea of having a known good power and ground in my hand while testing but I could get a long set of jumper leads directly to the battery.

I feel that with more and more computer-controlled circuits at some point it might be better to use the PP for basic checks and for the known good power and ground and use a scope for everything else, leaving my multimeter in my toolbox.

All of this equipment is a huge investment for me so I want to make the best possible decision.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41472 by Tyler

I really like the idea of having a known good power and ground in my hand while testing but I could get a long set of jumper leads directly to the battery.

It might sound weird? But I actually use the extension lead from my PP3 set more than the probe itself. :lol: ecwurban noticed that the jacks on the cable itself are actually banana jacks! So you can connect the cable to the battery and tote solid power/ground with you anywhere, and connect it to your DMM/scope/test light/whatever as desired.

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...some-main-cable.html

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds