A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Best practice when using injector tester

More
7 years 2 months ago #5610 by Knoxtech
When you using a injector pulse tester to compare injectors am I correct in assume the best practice is to pulse test a single injector and then reconnect the injector harness from the vehicle and start the car before moving to the next injector or retesting the same injector? My understanding is the to prevent hydrolocking the engine on fuel and cause damage. I am asking the question because I had a 2001 ford ranger that had a failing injector that I couldn't test because i do not own a injector pulse tester like the otc 3398 but as with all the cars I do not get to complete the complete the diagnosis on I am mentally walking through the steps of how I would do it next time I saw a car like that if I had the right tool on hand. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #5617 by Dylan
I'll post a link to a playlist.
It's from ScannerDanner's free channel on YouTube. In case you're a premium member there's a lot more.

(Chapters 17, 18 and 19) Fuel Injector Testing

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFYVCyen...m94zK0-EP0ICsGWj_ICs
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Dylan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knoxtech

More
7 years 2 months ago #5626 by Tyler
There's nothing wrong with the procedure you described, sir. It's a little bit on the cautious side, IMO, but nothing wrong with that! I'd be comfy with pulsing all the injectors once per key cycle, as long as you had a way to run the fuel pump in between cylinders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knoxtech

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 2 months ago #5650 by Noah
I pulse them all before starting the engine. Haven't hurt anything yet.
You'd get into trouble pulsing the same injector multiple times.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 2 months ago #6091 by Knoxtech

Noah wrote: I pulse them all before starting the engine. Haven't hurt anything yet.

Can you explain why pulsing the same injector would cause problems if the cylinder is cleared ( starting the engine) between each pulse test? heating up the injector, stressing the injector, ? Just wanted to understand.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 2 months ago #6104 by Noah

Knoxtech wrote:

Noah wrote: I pulse them all before starting the engine. Haven't hurt anything yet.

Can you explain why pulsing the same injector would cause problems if the cylinder is cleared ( starting the engine) between each pulse test? heating up the injector, stressing the injector, ? Just wanted to understand.

I should have been more clear. I meant that you could get in trouble pulsing the same injector multiple times without clearing the cylinder.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds