A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Best procedure for relative compression test without clear flood mode

More
3 years 8 months ago #42548 by Seanerz
Hey friends, can anyone recommend the best and easiest way to run a relative compression test when clear flood mode isn't available?
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42554 by Alex Ace Auto
remove injector fuse if applicable. There may be multiple depending on displacement of engine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanerz

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #42570 by juergen.scholl
Disconnecting the crank sensor will work on all engines, others may not star with the cam sensors disabled.

My all time favorite on cars with a chip in the key fob is to wrap this part in aluminum foil or hold a magnet close to it while cranking. (This might need an realignment on some rolling code/infrared systems afterwards like Renault, Mercedes employ)

This procedure will allow in most cases to aquire a sync signal from ignition when pulling a fuse cuts injection and spark and it is quick and dirty.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, Chad, Seanerz, GeraZona

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 8 months ago #42571 by Noah

juergen.scholl wrote: Disconnecting the crank sensor will work on all engines, others may not star with the cam sensors disabled.

It goes against every fiber of my being to disagree with Juergen, but I recently worked on a Chevy Impala that would run with the crank sensor disconnected.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
3 years 8 months ago #42580 by juergen.scholl

Noah wrote:

juergen.scholl wrote: Disconnecting the crank sensor will work on all engines, others may not star with the cam sensors disabled.

It goes against every fiber of my being to disagree with Juergen, but I recently worked on a Chevy Impala that would run with the crank sensor disconnected.

I stand corrected and was wrong! Thank you for making this clear.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #42583 by Andy.MacFadyen
Some engines need both cam and crank sensors to start for example MG K VVC and KV6
Some have a fall back mode that needs only the crank sensor to start as for example on LR Freelander 1
Some need only the cam sensor.
If there is a bump switch pulling or tripping that works
With Bosch common rail diesels disconnecting the cam sensor or fuel rail pressure sensors will do the job.
Another alternative is to leave the key out the ignition and activate the starter solenoid with a jumber lead or remote start push button. but make 100% sure the transmission is out of gear.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Chad, Seanerz

More
3 years 8 months ago #42587 by Matt T

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Another alternative is to leave the key out the ignition and activate the starter solenoid with a jumber lead or remote start push button. but make 100% sure the transmission is out of gear.

Downside of that technique is you probably won't be able to get a sync signal.

Really best way is to disable fuel but the best way to accomplish that varies by vehicle.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42634 by Tyler

juergen.scholl wrote: My all time favorite on cars with a chip in the key fob is to wrap this part in aluminum foil or hold a magnet close to it while cranking. (This might need an realignment on some rolling code/infrared systems afterwards like Renault, Mercedes employ)

This procedure will allow in most cases to aquire a sync signal from ignition when pulling a fuse cuts injection and spark and it is quick and dirty.

Ayyyyyyy I gotta try that. B)

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds