A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Scanner

More
3 years 9 months ago #41930 by Herc53
Scanner was created by Herc53
I want to buy the best scanner for reading my distributor coil ramps . With a built in oscilloscope . What would some of you suggest .?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41931 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Scanner
I need to ask some qualifying questions. You're interested in looking at ignition coil current ramps, or secondary ignition patterns?

Are you looking specifically for a scanner with a built-in scope? Or would a normal scope work?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41935 by Herc53
Replied by Herc53 on topic Scanner
A built in scope is what i want ? Kinda of a do it all !

More
3 years 9 months ago #41936 by Tyler
Gotcha. Snap-On does the combination form factor the best, IMO. Anything in the Modis/Triton or Verus lines would work perfectly. Both are widely available used.

Autel and Launch also offer add-on scope modules for their scan tools.

Keep in mind that while having a combination scanner/scope is handy, it's not always the best for every situation. Sometimes having them separate is necessary to get the results you want. ;) Plus, separating them allows you to get what you want out of a scope, without compromising on the scanner, and vice versa.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41937 by Herc53
Replied by Herc53 on topic Scanner
Well Thank You Tyler . I need to check my ramps on my tacoma 2.7 that has the distributor with built in cam position sensor . What would be a good Single oscilloscope To purchase then ?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41938 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Scanner

Tyler wrote: Autel and Launch also offer add-on scope modules for their scan tools.

I guess you haven't seen the unboxing video Paul did on Autels latest and greatest yet.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #41939 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Scanner
It really comes down to how much you want to spend current ramping coils can be done with an 80$ or an 8,000$ scope all it takes is a DC amp clamp and a scope.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41940 by Matt T
Anything approaching best will be 4 figures and I think the top of the line Snap-on are five figures. So the first question that needs answered is what is your budget? Also do you have a laptop you could use with a USB 'scope? That generally works out cheaper than buying something with a built in screen.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41947 by Tyler

Matt T wrote: I guess you haven't seen the unboxing video Paul did on Autels latest and greatest yet.

I have, actually! But as they're brand new on the market, I wanted to get feedback from Paul and others before recommending it.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #41949 by Matt T

Tyler wrote: I wanted to get feedback from Paul and others before recommending it.

Pauls "feedback" in that video cracked me up. When he went from praising the, very impressive looking, hardware to cussing the same old software :lol:

Agree it's too new to be recommended at this point. Just mentioned it because it's Autel entry into the integrated 'scope/scanner market.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Matt T.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #41951 by Tyler

Matt T wrote: Pauls "feedback" in that video cracked me up. When he went from praising the, very impressive looking, hardware to cussing the same old software :lol:

I know! :silly: :silly: Am I a bad person because I enjoy watching Paul struggle? Well, maybe I don't 'enjoy' it. I just empathize.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Tyler.

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds