A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

No pulse sensor, no problem, scope the MAP sensor

More
3 years 10 months ago #40578 by John Curtis
So I decided to experiment and scoped a MAP sensor during a crank event to see if I could use it in place of a pressure pulse sensor. In short, it works well enough to see valve events.

Just thought I’d share with you guys.

Would this forum benefit from an “unconventional testing” sub forum?

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40597 by Cheryl
Got a screenshot? What we’re your settings on your scope?

More
3 years 10 months ago #40602 by Andy.MacFadyen
Bosch hotwire MAF will also intake pulses but how useful it could be is doubtful.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
3 years 10 months ago #40603 by John Curtis
Started on a 5V setting, went to a 2V setting and still needed some zoom. No screenshots unfortunately but I plan on experimenting with it again at some point and I’ll save some captures. I was very surprised to see a perfectly usable waveform that showed valve events. Actually discussed this with others and some suggested to completely disconnect the sensor electrically and use an external 5v supply.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40605 by John Curtis

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Bosch hotwire MAF will also intake pulses but how useful it could be is doubtful.

Still very interesting at least to me. However, the location of the sensor is an important factor. Before the throttle plate, then you’re not gonna get the entire picture. In comparison as to where if the sensor is after the throttle plate.

And... could those intake pulses from a MAF sensor be interpreted to determine if the throttle plate is closing properly or if it might be stuck open by debris or other obstructions? While maybe not practical, I’d be curious about what the differences in a waveform will produce.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40609 by juergen.scholl

John Curtis wrote: Started on a 5V setting, went to a 2V setting and still needed some zoom.

You might want to try ac-coupling.....

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
3 years 10 months ago #40615 by Andy.MacFadyen

John Curtis wrote:

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Bosch hotwire MAF will also intake pulses but how useful it could be is doubtful.

Still very interesting at least to me. However, the location of the sensor is an important factor. Before the throttle plate, then you’re not gonna get the entire picture. In comparison as to where if the sensor is after the throttle plate.

And... could those intake pulses from a MAF sensor be interpreted to determine if the throttle plate is closing properly or if it might be stuck open by debris or other obstructions? While maybe not practical, I’d be curious about what the differences in a waveform will produce.

The MAF I first noticed it on was on a turbo diesel so no throttle plate I could actually see the pulses at idle although the MAF was before the turbo with a whole load of junk, turbo, inter cooler, EGR between the MAF and the cylinders. At least on a diesel it could be a method for spotting a valve related issue,

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds