A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

5V signal for resistive short testing?

More
3 years 11 months ago #40042 by Tyler
Watched the ATS video posted by Bernie Thompson on diag.net yesterday:

diag.net/msg/m7a7t76n7owc590sss1x9j17so

I can't link to the video directly. :( Sorry. But the relevant part was where he used a 5V signal generator to find a problem in PCM that was causing the O2 bias voltage to get partially pulled to ground. It was a really slick test. B)

And that got me thinking. Would a home made 5V signal generator accomplish the same thing? I don't think it'd have to be a square wave, just a low current that's sensitive enough to get pulled down by a resistive short. Less than 50mA, maybe.

Would the Power Probe 5V adapter work? I have no idea what kind of current those output. :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40046 by Andy.MacFadyen
I will have a good look at it tomorrow --- thinking most labscopes have a 5v square wave signal generator.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
3 years 11 months ago #40047 by Chad

Tyler wrote: And that got me thinking. Would a home made 5V signal generator accomplish the same thing? I don't think it'd have to be a square wave, just a low current that's sensitive enough to get pulled down by a resistive short. Less than 50mA, maybe.

This is a signal generator that I built for bypassing VATS/Passkey. Pulling the signal down with a test-light to ground (27Ω). There was a considerable voltage drop, pulling 11.6 mA.

I added various amounts of resistance and the voltage drop and current flow changed accordingly. Adding 44K Ω resistance to the test-light, still, had a voltage drop of .45 volt, pulling only .05 mA.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #40050 by Matt T
Found this on amazon for $12 and change. Adjustable frequency and duty cycle so it might also be useful for driving PWM controlled outputs. Should be able to current limit it with a resistor like Chad mentioned in his post.

OK I guess right click doesn't work for anything on this site once you register?? Searching for B07KVYQ78K on amazon should bring it up.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40062 by Tyler
You guys are awesome. B) This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

I was initially thinking about making this 9V to 5V regulator? Mostly because I have all of those components at work (except the optional LEDs):

somanytech.com/9v-to-5v-converter-circuit/

But these suggestions are way better. :lol: I wonder how hard it'd be to combine one of these regulators with a voltmeter across the output? That way, I wouldn't need to tie up my scope/meter measuring for a voltage drop. It'd all be in one piece of equipment.

Matt T wrote: OK I guess right click doesn't work for anything on this site once you register?? Searching for B07KVYQ78K on amazon should bring it up.

Yeah, that's a new security function we added a couple months ago. Sorry for the hassle. :( Here's the link for anyone following along:

www.amazon.com/Generator-DROK-Adjustable...ngular/dp/B07KVYQ78K
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #40065 by Tyler
Another option I considered was the Ditex AutoSim Pro:

www.aeswave.com/AutoSim-Pro-Automotive-S...Simulator-p9749.html

It'll do a bunch of cool stuff! But it's also $400. More money than I wanted to spend...

More
3 years 11 months ago #40067 by Matt T
That Ditex does look nice. For something more advanced than PWM, but cheaper than Ditex, amazon B0759GKKBJ or similar might work as a sensor simulator.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40185 by Tyler
Ended up ordering the DROK signal generator from Amazon, because it's fast and I'm cheap. :blush:

I rigged it up with some spare wire and clips I had on hand for some quick tests. Two wires in for power/ground, one power switched output equal to input voltage, and one steady ground. Because the signal generator is connected to the vehicle battery for my tests, I generally found the steady ground wire to be useless.

You can play with the duty/frequency, but I generally found myself turning the duty all the way up to generate a flat 12V. With a dead short and a battery at 12.06V, the generator flows 12mA of current:

So what kind of a short does it take to pull that down? I started playing with a 10K ohm variable resistor to see how the voltage would behave:

Cursor #1 is an open circuit, 12V. Cursor #2 shows the resistor connected at 10K ohms. It's clear that even 10K ohms is enough to pull this generator down. :unsure:

For giggles, I dialed the voltage in to 5.01V, then checked the resistance reading. 700 ohms on the nose.

For more giggles, I also tried to run one of my Nissan three-wire ignition coils off the signal generator. Didn't work. :( Signal was making it all the way to the coil, but apparently 12mA isn't enough? Voltage applied by the generator was 1.07V while connected to the coil. Oh well...
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds