A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Scan tool crashes during comms

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #39327 by Jonphillips
Hi all ,

My new scan tool has recently started crashing when communicating with a vehicle , I’m trying to get this sent back but the manufacturer is arguing this is quite normal and to simply the re
Boot the tool and then continue as normal .

My question is is there the possibility this could
Damage an Ecu ?

I was once carrying out a software update when I suffered a power cut and this “ bricked “ the ecu , luckily I was able
To recover
It but does
The same principle apply when doing say a service light reset using a scan tool ?

I’m sure Paul mentioned in one of his videos that This could
Damage a driver in the ecu ?

I’ve lost faith in the tool so will be replacing it with a different brand but that will be a while
Yet as money is right at Th e moment.
Thanks
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Jonphillips.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39336 by Tyler
What scan tool is this, specifically?

Have you tried communicating with other vehicles? Does the the scan tool react the same way to all of them?

I've never known a scan tool to damage a vehicle, but anything is possible. Crashing during communication with a vehicle is NOT normal.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39345 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have had scantools lock up when trying to communicate with a module that has been misidentified. Usually this is on IPK or ABS on BMW and Fiat.
A good scantool will eventually time out but I have had cheap scantools that needed a disconnect and reboot.

However a scantool that is actually crashing would make look for a connector or cable issue.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39346 by Jonphillips
Hi Tyler & Andy ,

It’s an Ancel fx4000- I realise this is a budget tool and at £175 I’m not expecting miracles but I’m very new to the industry so investing £££££ on a Verus or similar doesn’t make financial sense yet.

Perhaps a better description as one of you guys said is it “timed out “ - will try and reAd a module and it simply gets stuck on “communicating “.

I’m currently saving up for another Autel but was just worried this might damage car.

I’ve used it on around 15 cars now, had the same issue on maybe 5 of them .

Neither the seller or manufacturer are now replying so looks like I’m stuck with it for the time being, think il use of sparingly though just to be on the safe side

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39347 by Jonphillips
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds