A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Modis Edge vs Other Scantools/Scopes On The Market?

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #39285 by Reddie1337
Hey there,

I have been looking for a scope/scanner recently, and I currently own a Snap-On Solus Ultra (updated to 19.2) (kinda old hardware, and I have a cracked screen) I have been thinking about getting the screen repaired, and updating it to the latest software.(Screen replacement because I get freezing up and touch calibration everytime I start the scanner) So I would be spending 1000-1500 to get it repaired and updated. My snap-on rep has let me loan a Modis Edge for a little bit to see if I'd want to switch into that. I like the functionality of the Modis Edge (also its quicker) and I learned to use a Vantage Ultra scope when I was in trade school. So I have knowledge of the Snap-On scanner and scope functionality.

What I really want to know is, is the Modis worth it to upgrade to it. It is multiple years newer with the latest software and it gives me access to a scope. I paid $2000 for the Solus Ultra, used. and I can jump to a Modis Edge for $3000 with my trade in, so I am getting my moneys worth back on my Solus Ultra, even with a broken screen, and saving ~$2000 for the Modis Edge.

Is there also a better scanner/scope on the market? Say Autel? Or Launch? I don't know much about them, just trying to get as much info before I jump to the Modis Edge.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Reddie1337.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 1 month ago #39286 by Noah
As far as scan tool/scope combination tools, Snap-On has the market cornered.
I think that the Modis is a far better tool than the Solus in terms of speed and content.
You can see more pids at once, and graph one or two of them at a time, and because it has a scope it also has guided component tests with information like pin locations and testing guidelines for various sensors and components.

It does surprise me to see the vast price difference on used equipment from market to market.
I live just north of Boston and paid $800 for my Solus Ultra maybe 4 years ago. I sold it to a friend for $500 last year and bought a Verus Edge with 19.4 for $1500.

Maybe we're just spoiled?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #39303 by Reddie1337
Man I wish I could get a Verus Edge used for $1500. Now, this is all straight from the Snap-On truck. Not used online or anything like that. The Modis Edge is the same form factor and screen as the Solus Ultra, just not as thick. So I can still graph the same 4 PIDS on both, but the Modis is just quicker loading, and it does give me the wireless capabilities and shows SureTrack fixes on the screen. (I know they are NOT silver bullets, but good ways to start testing to see if that component has failed on the current job) It also gives me oil specs, capacities and tire/wheel services on the screen.

The guided component testing was fantastic for an old D250 Cummins I was working on last Friday to check the charging system.

Thank you for your input, I may just have to go with the Modis Edge. It definitely sounds like a good upgrade from my Solus Ultra. Cheapest Verus Edge I can find anywhere near me is almost $5000 used, and not with the 20.2 update.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Reddie1337.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39379 by fmbfla
My Boss upped to a Snap on BT cart scanner(dont know the model) from SO has all the Bells and Whistles but no SUB's from SO and was previously using the Solus. I bought the Solus fer 1900 used it with great results I Also have a Hantek 2 chan Scope with no rope and was using it for my testing but thought it would be good to have a combo SO offerd to take the Solus back @ $ paid by me current sale was 1500 er so off the 6000 flip flop I paid just under 3000 for the Modus with 2 futuer updates....
SCope is great on graphicsand ease of use with presets my biggest concern is when recording (running live) the patten changes not from what you test but the buffer, Saving and reviewing proves out...

If you can ge a deal on the MODUS take it for the offer use it to do a quick test and then USE A DSO and the ST to run functions ( cant do both with MODUS

• Noah
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39381 by Noah
There is a way to use the use scope and scan tool at the same time.
It's kind of a chore, but I do it regularly.

So imagine you have the scanner all set up to control your output, but you want to verify with the scope.
Tap the home tab at the bottom of the screen. This will keep the scanner running but bring you back to the diagnostic suite.
Now choose guided component tests.
You must choose this, not lab scope, or it won't work.
Now pick a test. It really doesn't matter which one because you're going to configure the scope to your liking anyway.
Once you have the correct test lead chosen on the correct channel, your probes hooked up and scales are set, at the top of the scope screen is a tab that says meter.
Tap it once to hide the on screen instructions, and once more puts the scope screen into it's own window. It stays active on the windows task bar below.
Now choose the home tab again, and scanner.
You'll be right where you left off, and you can click the meter tab on the windows task bar and the scope window will pop up and float over the scanner screen allowing you to use both.
There's a video with instructions how to do it in the Scanner Danner Premium Verus training series. Most everything covered there applies to the Modis as well. If you haven't seen it sign up for the 14 day free trial, bang out that series and then cancel before you have to pay if you don't want to keep the premium membership.

• Noah
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39382 by Noah
The buffer on the scope is my biggest qualm with Snap-On scopes as well. You need to be ready to stop the capture before you lose it.

The scanner buffer is quite large though and can keep a test drives worth of data.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39460 by Reddie1337
Thanks Noah, I think that only works on the Verus/Zeus because they are windows based. There isn't a home button at the bottom of the screen on the Modis type scanner.

I decided to go with the Triton D8 instead actually. Extra cost of a couple hundred for it new, still with my trade in.

The Modis Edge has been discontinuted and the Triton is it's replacement. It has the Intelligent Diagnostic software on it (Subscription cost, slimmed down version of what you'd find in Mitchell/Shopkey) and I got that for 2 years, for less than the cost of 1 update for the Triton. I sign the paper and get the unit Monday.

If after the 2 years I don't care for that software anymore, I can just update it like a regular Modis Edge would have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds