A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Updated CAN Gateway

More
4 years 1 month ago #39147 by Tutti57
Updated CAN Gateway was created by Tutti57
I just read a tech article from Nissan that was talking about the new gateway that is in the 2020 Sentra. It said that the only "open" access would include read/clear codes and data stream. Active tests (bidirectional control functions) would be in a "restricted" area where you would have to have a Nissan password and connect to their server, like we do at the dealership for module updates and programming.

What does this mean for aftermarket shops and scan tools? No go?

Nissan Technician

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 1 month ago #39152 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Updated CAN Gateway
Sounds like what Chrysler implemented with the secure gateway module.
I'm curious to see the aftermarket response to auto makers moving en masse to this protocol.
So far, the cars I see are pretty far behind that curve in the road.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 1 month ago #39172 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Updated CAN Gateway
The Fiat Chrysler system as it stands can be physically by-passed future systems are likely to be much more backdoor proof.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 1 month ago #39276 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:Updated CAN Gateway
At some point when I get one in, I'll test that out on our used car dept snap on tool. I think they just got an update or a new one, so I'll see what it let's me see/do. Hopefully the tool is updated enough.

Nissan Technician

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39390 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic Re:Updated CAN Gateway
With the 19.4 update it prompted to create a SGA account even before I started using it. Have did the SGA thing yet as it's $50 for a year even if on multiple devices as long as you register them for example ADS-625, Zeus, IM608 would all work if I had them under the account under me once created from the understanding I had.

There's a cable that AESwave sells that's supposed to allow a workaround which this was before they (Snap-On) did the update to their tool.

I watched a video of the cable being used on a Dodge pickup and they had to remove the radio to access and saw some posts about others being in the passenger lower left footwell area to access the plug in above that area.

Essentially in my view they lost the right to repair battle so they changed the hardware and used security as their excuse so now you pay them or their alliance to access the vehicle's data. This is just my thought. I'm sure they had the lawyers advise them as well.

Pretty soon it'll probably be like locksmith, VSP stuff where you have to go thru NASTF and get the big bond, pay annual bond premiums to get access to this stuff.

A good example of how's a guy to compete is like the other day when I went to Subaru to grab some parts for a job I've been working on. Saw a ton of courtesy cars and got talking with the parts guy and mentioned that they had alot and he said that's nothing as about half were out.

I asked how many they had and he said they had appx 157 courtesy vehicles and sioux falls sd isn't a big big town by any means though we did make national news first for the pork plant covid cases and now it's running like a wildfire thru the rest of packing plants around the country.

Point being dealers/mfrs have the power and they leverage it whether it be repair info, secure gateways and who knows what's next. Some of those secure gateways are wireless hence them having them secured so they can keep viruses, rogue software actors out.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds