A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Head gasket without symptoms

More
4 years 1 month ago #38468 by Gazmendhajra
09 Mazda ,Someone asked me to replace a head gasket showed me the oil cap it was milky now I was trying to see which bank has the bad gasket but there was no symptoms of a bad head gasket it would only over heat no white smoke ,no oil in the coolant ,no misfire , stupid Ford put the water pump in with the timing belt awful design .almost the engine got replaced or the heads removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #38472 by Gazmendhajra
I know that most of the water pumps are in the timing cover and driven by the belt but with a chain I don't think that was a good design .

More
4 years 1 month ago #38503 by Tutti57
It is full of the cake batter stuff in there or just some around the cap? It's super common to see it under the cap. I might do another test to confirm, even drain the oil.

If you drain it and it looks like chocolate milk, then you can know there is coolant in there.

I haven't tried this myself, but an ASE study guide said if you let the car sit over night then drain the oil before running it, the first fluid to come out of the oil pan will be water, since the oil will separate to the top overnight.

Nissan Technician

More
4 years 1 month ago #38504 by Gazmendhajra
It did look like chocolate milk and I did tell him to take off the oil pan and pressurize the systems to see were the leak is coming from bc it could also be a crack on the block ,so what he did he added blue devil seal I left after he did that.

More
4 years 1 month ago #38506 by Andy.MacFadyen
I think you are moving to fast on this.
(1) Is there actual coolant loss ?
(2) Is the car only used for short journeys ?
(3) Is the engine reaching full running temperature ?
(4) Is the weather cold or cold and damp in your area ?
(5) Is the crankcase ventilation PCV breather and hoses in good condition and clear of obstruction ?

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 1 month ago #38511 by Gazmendhajra
Ok no white smoke, no misfire, no oil in the coolant what else do you think it could be nothing else left but the pump it self and the block , not my vehicle someone else. Vehicle the owner decided to put some sealant in the coolant system I just left after he did that , and when u have chocolate milk in the engine I don't think you should look at the weather to see how worm the weather is

More
4 years 1 month ago #38512 by Gazmendhajra
The Ford 3.5 and 3.7 engines and the Mazda 09 6s and few other v6 Mazda's not sure which ones they have this issue the oil gets contaminated with coolant its a common failure there is plenty of videos out there with fords and Mazda's out there for the same issue.

More
4 years 1 month ago #38516 by John Curtis
Use some sort of a pressure gauge on the radiator. Even a vacuum/pressure gauge would work. Clear flood crank, it should not build any pressure.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
4 years 1 month ago #38520 by Gazmendhajra
Thank you guys for all of your opinions its always better when technicians talk to each other thing's get fixed faster and better that's way i always ask for other opinions , this vehicle had no misfire ,no white smoke ,no oil in the coolant system ,just over heating that ruled out combustion problems with just visual and some knowledge .

More
4 years 1 month ago #38522 by Gazmendhajra
And the thermostat was bad it never opened up for the coolant to flow that's what I think caused this hole situation .

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds