A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Mechanical Compression Gauge Vs Relative Compression

More
4 years 1 month ago #38066 by John Curtis
I had intermittent cylinder-specific misfire caused by intermittent low compression due to a bent rod.
Relative compression waveform looked perfect for a random amount of crank revolutions and intermittently would appear low on my misfiring cylinder.

A compression test never showed the low compression and a leak down test did not reveal the problem. I had to crank up the pressure during the leak down which actually gave me direction.

Have you guys seen this before? Without the ability of a scope I’m not sure I would’ve found the problem.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtech494

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #38569 by JarheadDiagnostics
I ran in to this one a Kia Soul with a 1.6L GDI. The cylinder walls were scratched just below the compression line. So it passed leak down test perfectly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Dtech494

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #38600 by Tyler
Been there with Chrysler Pentastar (3.6L) engines. If you did the relative compression test long enough, you'd catch one cylinder acting up.

The newest series of SD Premium talks about this phenomenon, and how a vacuum gauge + compression gauge missed a leaking intake valve. :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtech494

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds