A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Changing battery types on a BMW

More
4 years 2 months ago #36355 by Tyler
Looking for some clarification from anyone familiar with BMW's. 2010 X3 came in, customer had replaced their own battery and wanted the new battery registered. I think, easy breezy. B) Been here, done that, no problem.

Before registering the replacement, I check the battery itself for the reserve capacity, since the scanner is gonna ask. RC is the same, but the replacement is AGM instead of lead acid. Fine, we can change that, too.

Here's where things go sideways. :( I have four scanners at my disposal. My Launch Pro Mini, the shops X431 Pad II, my Snappy and an Autel MS908. All will register that battery replacement took place, but NONE will successfully register the change from lead acid to AGM. Snap-On has a specific function to make the change, but always flags an error. Both Launch scanners say they'll make the change, but never do. Autel (surprisingly) has ZERO battery replacement functions. :angry:

For those who have done this successfully, what tool did you use? If it was one of the above, where did I go wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #36361 by Andy.MacFadyen
Might be a battery size & type combination that the car computer won't accept as an option . Apparently
BMW on some models won't accept an AGM battery size smaller than 80ah but will accept a 70ah normal Lead-Acid

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 2 months ago #36709 by Tyler
I never even thought to try changing the battery rating first. :lol: Will definitely try that next time. Thanks, sir!

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds