A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

cannot 4 the life of me find answer 2 this online!

More
4 years 3 months ago #36342 by fr33spirit
I jumped into buying this cable from Amazon that plugs into laptop with USB. what got me excited was the desc said it communicated with all these diff modules. after getting it however I realized that it's made for FORD and I own an Acura. its a ELM327 but reviews said they were able to program their PCMs & all sorts of things (on their Ford).
My question is: what is the difference between this type of device and cheap MVCI cables that say they are for Honda?! the cord I've got says it works with all OBD2 protocols (my car is ISO 9141-2).
the manufacturer says that this product is just a link between the PC and DLC so it seems like to me that it should be able to work with a reconfigured version of HDS bc wouldn't the functionality just be dependent on the software?!
someone PLZ help me understand this bc I've spent days googling stuff and still can't figure out whether it would work & I don't want to go in and change my Windows version and install programs if it's gonna be for nothing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36363 by Andy.MacFadyen
Ford use different pins on the diagnostic socket and avery different protocol also the data lines and standards used for data transmision on the vehicle are different.
If you want to talk to your Honda beyond OBD2 the cheapest simplest route is probably shelling out just a few more greenbacks for Autel AP200 Bluetooth dongle, I have never tried it on a Honda and how much access it gives to altering and configuring modules varies between car brands but I know it is very capable on other manufacturers brands.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds