A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

acustrip 480508--hydrocarbons in coolant testing

More
4 years 3 months ago #36158 by kbags123
Hi all; was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the above mentioned acustrip 480508 or other methods of testing for hydrocarbons in coolant. I have used these as a diesel tech and have never had one come back positive--def tanks. Usually the tank pressure(or inability to build) was a dead giveaway. Now in the independent world and looking at alternative methods for, primarily, gas engine head gasket rule-out. Gas analyzer is not an option for this shop at this point; the feedback that I get on the blue-juice gas tool(not sure what its called) is that it never yields a positive result--even on confirmed failures. Yes-- oil on exhaust bubbling, the usual lack of/lowered compression and further leakdown testing. This is already too long--would appreciate any feedback more experienced techs would have on this. We do a lot of used cars and I'm looking for a good alternative for our shop for faster rule--outs/confirmation.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 3 months ago #36197 by Noah
I see a lot of used cars and my go to is the blue fluid. I believe that chemical reacts with carbon dioxide from the combustion process to change color, not hydrocarbons. I've found many bad head gaskets with it. It's not always effective though. Positive is always positive but negative is just inconclusive. Maybe a hydrocarbon test would yield results where the carbon dioxide test is ineffective?
I'm always looking for a new confirmation method, be sure to post your experience with the strips of you go down that road. I've never seen them.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds